Fall Creators Update 1709 issues

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by WillAdams, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

WHAT?? I caught my old original copy of Win10 trying to phone home and allow updates. Little sneak.

Out of nowhere, "Windows10UpdateHelper.exe" (or some similarly named crud) popped up like a fungal recurrence and began creating folders and executing stuff. It's like there's a damned spirit possessing my machine.

Anyway, I did some tinkering with the permissions thing, and in combination with trying to stop Windows 10 from phoning home, the digital poltergeists have settled down again. Bastards.

Automatically starting up Windows Update after it had lain dormant for months must have something to do with the mothership sending out a signal to activate its little sleeper agents.

I found this tool to lock down the dozens, (hundreds?) of little pipes and feelers and channels leading back to Microsoft:

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

It seems to work. Update and the other various Gremlins from Redmond have gone silent.

I swear, man! -How did they convince the world that this helicopter parenting approach to operating systems was a good idea? It's like they want to turn users into a bunch of Safe Spacers! Remember back when you could just run your computer and nobody was trying to game-show-smile and frighten and otherwise maneuver their way into every little crack of your awareness? I've had quite enough of this brave new world.

***********EDIT update.

You also have to disable wuauserv.dll -Take ownership of the file and then lock out all access. wuauserv is the process which re-starts Windows Update.

***********EDIT update II.

Here's a legal link to an official ISO of the Creator's Update (Pre-FCU) Win 10 edition 1703 (This is the one my Samsung came with.)

http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-is...0-creators-update-1703-iso-download-standard/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

isn't the acrylic design update makes the start menu and notification centre too opaque, or it's just me?
    for first 2 days i thought its a bug that mae my start menu loose all its transparency. later i noticed the shadows of things in the background, but they were too subtle. Start menu looks too ugly now.

3. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, finally!

Here is the original post on reddit about the change:
    I can recommend W10Privacy for that: https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/

The options can be a bit overwhelming at first.

4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Why is this posted on a zero-subscribers reddit community by a new account with zero previous posts?

5. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's just retarded. I couldn't believe people actually wanted that. One has fingers for panning and zooming. Drag selection by dragging the pen was just convenient. Apple pencil and Spen do panning and zooming because those platforms have no right click. But windows does have a right click function. That's dumbing down a smart thing. There should be an option then, how one wants their pen to function as a mouse or as a panning and zooming stick.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. stormi

Oh didn't notice that... It's a post from the same MS guy who responded earlier on the MS developer platform (link).
    I thought it was posted on a well known/official reddit community...
    The whole politics from MS about this issue is totally *** up. Why is there no info about that in the developer preview notes, why is that information not available anywhere else and why hasn't there been any response on for example the feedback hub?? (at least I couldn't find it)
    Why talk about "overwhelming feedback from our Windows Insiders" that lead to the pen behavior in the FCU when there was just a random guy requesting for beeing able to scroll with the pen on the feedback hub and a storm of repys wanting the opposite...

WillAdams likes this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Okay, I'm going to ask this as simply, and as succinctly as I can:

How can I have an up-to-date Windows system which will allow the basic functionality of selecting text using a Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus (which was how this machine was purchased as a bundle)?

9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just add the entry in the registry and reboot.

10. stormi

But this presupposes using an Insider Preview which I wouldn't recommend for an productively used system.

The short answer is: not possible.

The long answer is: it might be possible to hack back the functionality using Autohotkey and AHKHID...

WillAdams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.