Faint Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Hugoneus, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveyd007

daveyd007 Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I picked up my tablet I have not heard any of those noises. I'm going to mess with the webcam and audio to see if it will do it.

2. daveyd007

daveyd007 Pen Pal - Newbie

I recorded my voice with Windows Sound Recorder and played it back without any issues. I then used the webcam with audio to record video and played it back with the same results, no problems, no weird noises, etc.

Those who have that clicking noise may want to contact ASUS Support. Hopefully they already have a solution for you guys.

3. sirex

sirex Pen Pal - Newbie

AH the click!!!

i haven't noticed it on mine in some time now, but occasionally it will pop up.. It seems to happen when the tablet is in a certain direction.. Im not realyl sure I can NEVER reproduce the sound, and when it comes, it usualy goes just as quick as it came.

the youtube sound file hit it right on the head.

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Has anyone found a solution for the noise yet?

5. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I guess not...

6. rplatham

rplatham Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been experiencing the faint clicking noise for some time and it tends to go on for several minutes. It strongly reminds me of the mechanical noise I associate with a hard disk seeking data. I didn't think it was an issue until I remembered an SSD doesn't have moving parts...

So far, the sound, repetition rate and pitch of the clicking does not appear to change as I slowly tilt the unit from landscape @60 degrees to landscape @90 degrees or lightly shake/wiggle the device while it is clicking away. This suggests it may not be mechanical, but it's a pretty poor test!

My clickng sound seems to be coming from the USB port nearest to the SD port. I opened up the covers on those ports and removed the SD dummy card and hear the click much more clearly near that USB port than I do from the top or bottom fan vents or the other ports.

It does not appear to be speaker generated noise as I plugged in a headset disabling the internal speakers, and the clicking continued from the device and was not heard in the headset.

I'm not keen to crack open my unit until my warranty expires as this is a business first device, but I'm even less keen to send my device to ASUS...

I'll try to pinpoint what causes the clicking a bit more and report back soon. I'd like to try load, orientation and angle tests and I suspect the G sensor as it would have moving accelerometers in it; but right now I have some business deadlines that need meeting.

- Russell

7. asifisme77

asifisme77 Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like I am joining the clicking club :(

I spoke to asus support and the guy I spoke to said he had never heard of this issue...yeah right! They want me to send it it in, but based on past experience, unless you have a dead machine or something that is in your face wrong, you are better off not sending it for repairs...otherwise you just get the machine back as is.

I am within my 30 days return period with the retailer, so wondering if whether to return and get another one.

Is this problem common among ep121 owners? Whats the probability of getting another one with the same issue?!?

8. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Much easier to exchange it.

9. matie3201

matie3201 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, first post from my new ep121, I just relieved it today! I have to say i have been slightly disappointed with this tablet so far because i too have this clicking noise coming from the fan area, it is actually very annoying. Mind you, i have not had this tablet for even a day yet but this is what i have discovered about the noise: If i have the screen oriented in landscape so the fans are on the left the clicking noise is audible. If i have the tablet oriented in any of the other three directions the noise is nonexistent. I agree with some of the other posters and do not believe the sound is associated with the fans but is more of an electronic noise.

10. wtwilks

wtwilks Pen Pal - Newbie

this may be entirely coincidental but when I lay my ep121 on it's back I don't hear the clicking noise. the only plausible explaination in my mind for the noise is a accelerometer. I've upgraded my SSD, replaced the motherboard, and replaced wifi card. I've had everything out and taken apart except the accelerometer which I really don't want to mess with. It's not the fan's, I had a fan problem for a month, replaced the thermal sensor (no luck) replaced the mobo. works perfect! But right now with my ep121 on it's back or slightly propped up with the folio = no clicking noise. this also might be coincidental but when it gets a little warmer as noted by the increased fan speed. then the clicking is more prevelant. This might indicate some slight expansion of a small device that has a mobile part wihin (such as the accelerometer) that is hindering it's free motion only ever so sligly not so much that when rotating the screen there is a problem such that it won't rotate.
    These are theorys but they are sound in that I've eliminated almost everything else. any thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.