Faint Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Hugoneus, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

It's really hard to fix issues that cant always be reproduced

2. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for bumping this thread. I've had the faint clicking noise from day 1. I still don't know where the sound is coming from. However, I did notice that the sound disappears when the tablet is face up or down. So, I believe it is mechanical and probably related the bearings on the fan.

3. themike

themike Pen Pal - Newbie

gah, that's a shame... yea it's rather tricky to reproduce the problem but happens just enough to bother me. I'll give it one more shot with tech support and will report my findings.

4. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you video the fault? I have had customers do that for me before on really difficult things.
    That might help the engineers to reproduce it, or perhaps give them the proof they need to send you an alternative unit.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

My HP TM2 has a similar problem. The clicks come and go but I only notice them when the unit is idling. They happen once every 1 to 2 seconds, but they eventually stop after a minute or two. They remind me of the "tick" of a clock's "tick-tack". Is that how your clicking behaves? I thought it was coming from the HD (500 Gb). I never considered it to be a fan issue. I think the fan would make a different kind of noise. I mean, clicks coming from a fan would be more frequent....Like those clicks of a "spinning roulette".

I wonder if there's some Windows process kicking in when the machine is idle. Maybe the Defrag.

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

EP121 has SSD , no mechanicals.

7. themike

themike Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll try to record it at one point, but boy it's kind of hard when it happens randomly. I feel like I'm a nature photographer in the wild waiting for that 'right' moment.
    The sound is more closer to series of all ping noise similar to the light bulb filament... arrg!

8. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I have noticed this as well, it almost sounds like a drip of water... but more "metallic" I guess? I almost think it has something to do with the screen, maybe a capacitor or regulator of some sort. It doesn't sound like a fan click to me, but could be wrong...

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

How many times does it click in one second? Several times? Just once?

10. themike

themike Pen Pal - Newbie

def not a fan noise, it clicks several times... doesn't click at a consistent pattern but randomly, as stated before, kinda like a processing sound. Haven't had much time to test the unit or capture the sound,but hopefully i'll have some time over the weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.