Faint Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Hugoneus, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugoneus

Hugoneus Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a faint clicking noise coming from my tablet when it is in in landscape mode. I am afraid it is coming from the fan. I suspect the fan because the noise stops when the tablet is is some other orientation, or when it is lying flat.

Do any of you have this issue?

2. Hugoneus

I don't know how some of you guys took this thing apart. After trying for 30 minutes I gave up. I don't think there is anyway to take it apart without damaging the case.

Ahhh! Stupid fan noise.

3. sirex

sirex Pen Pal - Newbie

Hugo, I made a post about this.. I hear it too.. I only notice when the screen is horizontal layout and it comes from the left side of the screen.. sounds like a solenoid or something.. I cant replicate the problem, it just happens and then it doesn't..

4. Hugoneus

Yes, that is exactly right. I wonder why this happens. I find that it happens when the computer is completely idle. Perhaps it is the sound of the fan being 'dithered' since it does not need to run at full speed. Or it could be that it is hitting a piece of tape or something inside the tablet and when the fan is running slow the tape is not pushed away and rubs against the blade.

5. Hugoneus

Can a few of you please check this for me... Do you guys have the same problem?

6. sirex

sirex Pen Pal - Newbie

ya I have no idea.. thats what I thought it was too.... but its weird because the Fans are at the top of the machine when looking at horizontally.

but the sound only comes from the left side of slate. when it is clicking, I can hear it the loudest when i put my ears to the air vents to the left of the slate, but I do not hear anything when I put my ear to the top of the slate where the out air vents are.

because of this, I dont think it is fan related. Im not sure.

maybe we can look at some of the pictures of the people who took their ep121 apart and determin what peice of hardware is found on the left of the screen.

7. themike

themike Pen Pal - Newbie

have you guys resolved this problem? I just got my unit back from ASUS and unsurprisingly they did not fix the issue...

8. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

what was your original problem? the fan noise?

9. themike

themike Pen Pal - Newbie

there is a faint clicking/ticking noise from the left side of the unit... usually occurs when there is something processing... asus said they've replaced the thermal fan, so i guess that's not it... def not from fans on top either

10. daveyd007

daveyd007 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure if you can gather what you're looking for with my pictures, but here's a few i've taken of the inside. Hope it helps.

ASUS Eee Slate EP121 12.1" Tablet Computer - a set on Flickr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.