F.04 BIOS and fan will not STAY off?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by r3fr4cti0n, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r3fr4cti0n

r3fr4cti0n Pen Pal - Newbie

hey guys this is the first time i have ever had this problem and it is a bit weird if you ask me.

i recently did a clean install on my tm2 did all the usual things, have it working properly except for the fan.

it's the weirdest thing i flashed the bios to f.04, the bios version that i have never had problems before with, and its does its flashing thing.. shuts down and here is where it get weird.. when i boot it back up i get a message that says something like " there is a problem with the fan...tm2t needs to be low temp..." i don't remember exactly but there is no error code just a web address Hewlett Packard Technical Support - select a country or region

and "press enter to exit"

when i press enter i shuts down.

now after i reboot all goes well i log into windows and the fan is off for about 15 mins, then it turns back on for good, no matter what the temp is.

i thought this may be because of the newly updated "hp windows 7 essential updates", that's the only thing new that i can think of that i have not used before

any ideas? i just want my fan to stay off so my battery life isent 4 hrs

2. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

Try to install the latest bios, F.07

3. r3fr4cti0n

i thought that the fan was only staying off with f.o4 bios?

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't have my Tm2 yet but I think I know what you need do, I agree with Seketh on the need for the newest bios.

1. Download/ flash the bios to the newest version (have it plugged in with the battery in it, trust me you don't want power to cut out while flashing the bios). the newest has the best revisions/ patches so it should help your computer run better.
    2. Then after it works then at the boot menu press the escape key (I think that) to enter the load up screen. then at the bottom of the screen should be a option to enter the bios, press that key
    3. Once you are in the bios then look around for the fan setting, and set it on another option, you can also change how the "fn"/ F1-F12 keys behave (again not sure what it says specifically, so something other than the "always on" option) that should keep the fan quieter and keep the Tm2 cool and won't let it overheat.

On a side note I can't believe how many times people flash bios' these days, they act so care free about it. What happened to the good old days when people FEARED the flashing of the bios; when if you flashed your bios yourself, it meant you had real balls to risk screwing up your computer. Maybe I'm one of those still holding on to ideas from a bygone era (what was it a handful of years ago?), but then again I was one who always pushed my luck as far as I could with computers.:cool:

5. Acedia

Acedia Awesomesauce

This. Flashing the BIOS was the nerd equivalent of disarming a bomb while blindfolded. I still won't do it.

6. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

That bios option doesn't mean that the fan will always stay off, it means that it'll be off until the system reaches a certain temperature.

The risk from flashing bios was all about file corruption or power failure, but it's very hard to screw up a bios flash these days, that's why manufacturers regularly release updates.

7. r3fr4cti0n

here is what the message says after i flash the bios

"The system BIOS has detected a possible problem issue with the cooling fan.

The cooling fan is an important part of the notebook pc. Operation of of a notebook pc for an extended period of time with out the cooling fan may result in permanent damage to the notebook pc.

cooling fan (902)

ENTER - shutdown

for more information please visit: HP.com/go/techcenter/startup
    "

any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.