Extra buttons for Windows 10 onscreen keyboard - Test

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Feb 23, 2016.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi all,

UPDATED TO V.2: See post #3 below.

I'm trying to adapt to using the Win 10 onscreen keyboard and keep being frustrated that some simple buttons such as Save/Copy/Paste/Undo are absent. So I'm trying to add some extra buttons and it seems to be working so far. Would anyone care to test the AutoHotkey script below and give some feedback?

If you are interested in testing, you'll need to have AutoHotkey installed on your computer. Then download the zip file attached below, extract the .ahk file anywhere on your computer and launch it by double-clicking on it (you can close it by right-clicking on its tray icon).

What you should see: While the script is running, there should be a series of buttons that appear just above the onscreen keyboard aligned at the top left corner. If you use the pen or a mouse, just placing the cursor over the keyboard should make the buttons appear; if you use touch, you will need to hit the keyboard's top bar in order for the buttons to appear. The function of each button should be rather self-explanatory, including two buttons that could be used to enter often used text snippets such as usernames and passwords.

The size of the buttons and where the extra buttons appear relative to the keyboard are set to work for the settings on my tablet but maybe they won't be optimal for yours. In this case, you can just open the script in a text editor (such as Notepad) and change the values at the top of the script (distances are in pixels). In case the scaling is all wrong because of a very different dpi from mine, you can change the general size multiplier value at the top.

I'm interested in knowing if it actually works for others, as it's working great for me, and what kind of changes to the settings others have to make so that the script works on their system. If it ends up working well for others, I may try to wrap it up more neatly in some kind of app. Thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions you may be able to provide.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Mikerman likes this.
  2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good for you, and good luck with this! :)

3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

UPDATE!

Below is v.2 of this attempt at adding buttons to the Windows 10 onscreen keyboard. When the script is running and the cursor is on the onscreen keyboard, extra buttons are added at the top of the keyboard. Here's what my floating keyboard looks like on my system:

Picture keyboard.PNG

In this v.2, there is a Save button in the left corner, followed by Copy, Paste and Select All. Then Undo/Redo. The magnifying glass is for a Google search: if I select a word somewhere then hit this button, the word will be searched in Google. The pin button pulls up a menu that has a series of text snippets that I use often: selecting the snippet automatically pastes it, so that I don't have to type passwords, usernames etc. Then there is the close button to quit the script.

l'm still ironing out some details but it works pretty well for me already (for now, it works very well with the floating keyboard but doesn't work as well when using touch on the docked keyboard), and I kind of can't live without these extra buttons anymore! If you want to try it, you can download the zip file below and follow the instructions in the top post. It's still at the testing stage so you can expect a few kinks and, as mentioned in the top post, I expect there might be some sizing issues due to different dpi/Windows scaling. Let me know if you have questions.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016