External monitor for Galaxy book 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dweam, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

I have two monitors, both 1018p. one has hdmi, displayport, and the other has HDMI and VGA and is my much older monitor. I was planning on using the older one as my secondary setup so I didn't have to use my main desktop monitor for my tablet's external. I'm might have an HDMi to VGA adapter somewhere, but I think the problem seems to be on the usb end of my tablet given the USB not recognized notification I keep getting.

2. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know why but some HDMI converters don't work well. I had to try 3 before finding the good one to plug an external monitor to my Cintiq Companion (Mini display port to HDMI). Maybe it's the same with USB-C to HDMI.
    This one works well with my GB12 : https://www.amazon.fr/AUKEY-Delivery-Adaptateur-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B071L6GTD2
    I can plug any HDMI monitor to it, and set it to "Extent".
    But if you plug the GB12 power supply in its USB-C port, it doesn't charge the GB12.

Dweam likes this.
  3. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Luckily the Cable I bought was only 12 bucks, so I'm not out a chunk of cash, but it is still annoying. It seemed to have decent reviews for this sort of thing. I might have just got a bad one, but I think there might possibly be a problem with the usb ports in my book 12. Things charge fine, they are receptive, but I did have this motherboard replaced during an RMA over a year ago, so who knows if thing isn't working right under the hood. All I can do is maybe try another converter and see.

4. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Your i5-7200U has HDMI 4.1. Does your cable support that? Your external display's HDMI is probably much older. New HDMI is supposed to backwards compatible, but I'm not so sure. Did you try the other USB-C port? Both of them might not be HDMI enabled.

Almost everyone here loves 3:2, but your problem is exactly why I don't. And you are working on extension, the easy problem.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  5. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried it in both ports and on both my monitors. my main pc monitor is a pretty recent samsung monitor as well. It is the Samsung CFG730, so it isn't very old. I attempted to install the monitor software, but that doesn't seem to change anything.