External monitor for Galaxy book 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dweam, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I am aware that the Galaxy book 12 can output to a secondary monitor via a USB-C to HDMI (or other video cable), but I am not sure if that means all it does is display what is on the tablet onto the monitor, or if I can have the monitor act as a secondary monitor like a 2 monitor PC setup.

I'd really like to be able to draw on my tablet and have a cloned version of the image in Clip studio displayed on the secondary monitor to be able to grasp how it an image would look at print size. If using an external monitor only blows up what is on my tablet then that functionality is not what I am looking for.

Does anyone know if what I am looking to do is possible?

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Definitely possible to use connected (secondary) monitor as an extended display to your tablet (primary) monitor.

In CSP, go to "Window > Canvas > New". This opens another preview window that you can adjust and see your whole painting. You can move this to the secondary monitor, while you worked zoomed in on your painting on the GB primary monitor.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I am aware of how to make a second preview window in CSP, I was mostly concerned about being able to actually output from the Galaxy book to a second monitor and have it act as a second monitor. So thanks for clearing that part up =D

4. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

In my experience, an external display works better if its resolution matches the computer's resolution, or at least has the same aspect ratio. This matching is more important for duplicating your display than extending it, but it's nice to be able to do both. A bad mismatch may not work at all or may cause flicker. Cables also matter. For example, my external display flickers and over-scans if I connect its HDMI port to my computer's HDMI port using an HDMI cable, but it works fine if I connect its VGA port to my computer's HDMI port using a VGA cable with an HDMI adapter.

Once you have a compatible display connected, using it as an extended display instead of a duplicated display is just a matter of your Windows display settings. You may find that using it sometimes as a duplicated display, and using your GB12 as an Intuos, is also a nice option, especially if your external display doesn't flicker. Your GB12 flickers at 250 Hz for PWM dimming.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Dweam likes this.
  5. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I often use an external monitor with my gb12 without any issue.
    It's a 1080x1920 one. I plug it via a hub (USB-c in the gb12 to hdmi for the monitor). I choosed a hub with some USB 3.0 and USB c added to the hdmi. Like that I can use the other gb12 USB c to plug its power supply.
    The power supply doesn't work when connected to my hub.

The only issue I had to solve was the fact that when I opened an external window with csp on the external monitor, it was a bit blurry due to the fact that the gb12 and the external monitor didn't share the same scale settings (the parameter you can adjust to set how big are the icons and menus on a screen).

Dweam likes this.
  6. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies, this is all very helpful.

7. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my USB-C to HDMI cable in the mail but it doesn't seem to be working. Having some trouble with troubleshooting why.

I plug the monitor in and I see a second monitor come up in the display settings, but it won't identify, or acknowledge it with I hit the identify or detect buttons.

the monitor I am plugging in is not the same display size (I plan on getting something QHD down the line) and the main screen does shift to a 1080p when I plug it in. however, if I go down to the multiple display options and hit extend these displays, or duplicate these display, I get a "USB device not recognized" notice. So I can't tell if the cable is incorrect or if I have a setting wrong somewhere even outside of my display settings.

I also Have a second monitor that I tried it on, and got the same results.

I am not using a hub, just a solo USB-C to HDMI cable that unless it is defective, should be able to handle this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

8. kurt corbin

If the main display shifts to 1080 that probably means it's trying to duplicate. To extend, you should be able to run each display at its native resolution.

9. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

That isn't exactly what is happening as far as I can tell. It seems like it doesn't fully recognize the Monitor. It seems to know it is there, but I get this USB device not recognized error, and it does not at any point or under any normal display setting create an image on the external monitor.

10. kurt corbin

Maybe what solved my problem would also solve yours. Does your external display have a VGA port? But you should wait to see if ticol has better advice.