External Hard drive + questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dgerber87, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgerber87

dgerber87 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey All,

I just got a Gateway M285, and so far so good...but, I'm looking for some options to make this Tablet incredible. I'm not a guru on computers, so I am trying to become more computer-savy, but I know the essentials, and a few other things.

So, to make this baby rock hard, what would you suggest I do?

I was going to get a simple 100Gb external HD so that i can store all my music, and other things that I do not need to access at all times, without bogging down the tablet.

But, I have heard mixed reports about performance correlating to space available on computer. I have heard from a couple of people that for ex:

I have a 100GB hard drive. 50GB of music is stored, plus another 30 GB of random stuff. If I got rid of the 50GB of music, would my computer run faster?

If I got one, how much am I looking at spending? I think they are around 100$, but can you recommend any?

Thanks for the help.

2. Vtengstudent

Vtengstudent Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey this is Jason and I also have a M-285 tablet. I have two external hard drives; a used western digital 80 GB 7,200RPM which I got for $35 but is $90 new, and a western digital 250GB 7,200RPM which costs $149 at Circuit City. Your hard drive will run faster with more free space. The only down side to an external hard drive is that since most need to have a power cord plugged in, you'll likely leave it in one place and whenever your not there you can't access your music or whatever you have on it. I would also suggest you install Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE Personal. You can download them from download.com. I would also install internet explorer 7 beta 3. It has tablet input, tabs, and its free.

3. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

Having 20 gig of freespace though should be fine. Ad-Aware & Spybot are a fine idea too, but usually with that much data it could probably be fragmented. Use disk defragmenter a few times and it'll speed up.

4. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, once you get in a habit of storing things in an external hdd, you start to notice quite a few piling up.

It would be a good idea for you to get an external enclosure ~ $30-$40, and buying normal internal hdds and sticking em in there, you can even buy used small hdds, like the 20gb that small pc stores have for cheap. In the long run, it might be a cheaper alternative. Just make sure you store your hdds in static free bags.

Some enclosures are powered by the firewire connection, im not sure if usb2 would power a hdd drive, but look into it.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

[​IMG]If portability in additional storage is an issue, you can't do much better than the Western Digital who do a Portable hard drive that is powered directly from the tablets USB port.
    Sizes go from 40 to 120GB

6. onesaint

onesaint Pen Pal - Newbie

Plus, you can take the WD passport (usb Drive) apart and Have a great Attachment for Any other Pata 2.5 Drive. they work great too.

7. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

enclosures are a horrible idea... I was being what mel gibson hates and got two firewire/usb2 enclosures for internal HDs...

long story short, after a year of wonderful use i lost 400 gb of data! don't let yourself be a precautionary tale.

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whilst I would not use a 'build it yourself' hard drive enclosure, I have been using manufacturer specific extrnal hard drives for many years.

I have
    1 x Buffalo 300GB NAS
    2 x Maxtor 250GB
    and several Archos Multimedia devices.

None have given me any problems whatsoever...
    Basically, if you look after your kit, it will look after you.

9. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

ive never had a problem... did your enclosure have a fan? and how did you store your spare hdds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.