External GPU on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mr. Boosh, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the vent might be the best option as well. Problem is, looks like the cable is really long that's provided. I wonder if they could make it shorter for us. I doubt there's any way to loop the extra cable and close it in the case.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's ingenious. Using the stand as the cover will protects the connector and retains a clean look while mobile.

If we modified the vent cover to pop off more easily, this could actually a functional and convenient solution.

3. Mr. Boosh

The issue now is the cable. The most elegant solution would be going back to my M.2 extender + M.2 to PCIe GPU connector. The M.2 in our ZC is M-key, correct? The only extender I could find was that E-key one, don't think it would work.

4. Mr. Boosh

5. Marty

That looks like it is B+M key, meaning you would be limited to x2 lanes of bandwidth:

[​IMG]

"'B' keying (pins 12-19) gives PCI Express SSDs up to 2x lanes of bandwidth, while a 'M' keying (pins 59-66) provides PCI Express SSDs with up to 4x lanes of bandwidth. Even with 2x lanes of bandwidth a 'B' keyed M.2 SSD still gives 10Gbit/s performance, whereas the 4x lanes on 'M' gives up to 20Gbit/s."

As you noted, the SM951 is M-key and from the AIDA report, the actual m.2 port is running at PCIe 2.0 x4 speed (2GB/s max), which is about TB2 speeds (2.5GB/s).

Now whether we will actually get anywhere close to those speeds I'm unsure, but we might as well go for the max! ;)

6. Mr. Boosh

Good catch, makes sense B+M key would default to lower spec'd of the two. This looks like it will be our only option, but it's customizable and the company is here in the US:

[​IMG]
    "M2-M2280-FLEX is a flexible extender for the M.2(NGFF) bus, in M keyed form factor. It is designed for type 2242, 2260 and 2280. It features, external power input for voltage margin of the Unit Under Test (UUT), an open access to the back of the UUT and an optional Current Sensing Resistor (CSR) for accurate current consumption measurement. The cable length can be ordered from 1" to 8" with an increment of 0.5". The optional CSR value is typically 10 milliohm, 1/2W, 1%. The assembly consist of a gold finger PCB which inserts into a M.2 connector, dual double shielded flexible cables and a M.2 socket connector PCB. The dimension of the gold finger PCB is 22mm W x 42, x 60 or x 80mm L. The socket connector PCB is 40mm W x 64, x 82 or x 102mm L for 2242, 2260 or 2280 cards."

We would just need the M.2 connector on the far end, not the PCB. Wonder if they could hook us up. I'll try calling this morning.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  7. Marty

If you get a chance, ask them what the max rated speed is on the connection per length. And for a ~5" run, would extra power be needed at the source.

8. Mr. Boosh

Just called the company, they're actually open until 5:30 PST so I got them on the phone. The guy I spoke to was super nice, he said they haven't specificially tested signal degredation or speed per unit length but he said it should be minimal loss. An extra power source is not needed. Also, we can hack off the PCB all the way down to the connector, so it would look like this:

m2-m2280-flex-s.jpg

That would be perfect for hiding right behind the vent! He priced me at $68 for a 5" cable. It might be a little less for shorter and more for longer. I told him I'm discussing this on a forum with multiple people and would get back to him. Who wants to try this first!?

I have Microsoft Complete for another year and spent $1700 on this machine only a few months ago because I thought the warranty was worth it; I'd hate to butcher the device and the warranty but I REALLY do want to try this :eek:

kvoram and Marty like this.
  9. Marty

Ah the final question...well, I usually reserve these kinds of mods for secondary devices.

Maybe there's someone who's switched to the MSP16 and wouldn't mind having a Canvas+eGPU setup. Could be quite decent gaming rig actually... :D

10. Mr. Boosh

Check out the parts I found! You should give it a go :). I will follow soon enough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.