External GPU on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mr. Boosh, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let's start the discussion. After doing some research, I think this would be the best choice:

Untitled-1.jpg

I can't find any dimensions on the length of the cable, and it looks mighty thick. Not sure if it would cause a bulge or keep the chassis from closing back up completely.

2. Mr. Boosh

My other thought to make it cleaner is to buy this as well:

Untitled-4.jpg

I could just use the part circled in red and then slot the ribbon cleanly through the speaker port. Then when I came home I could hook the one in the post above into the ribbon cable. I'm unsure if that would work at all or make the signal even worse?

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think it is, except I'm not sure how well the hacked HDMI connector would work (@1:03):

This actually what I was originally envisioning. Simply externalize the m.2 slot and then use the best m.2 to PCIe solution that works.

It would also allow for a cleaner look, as you could shorten the cable to have the external m.2 slot sit flush with the chassis.

4. Mr. Boosh

I think the connector would be too thick to sit flush with the speaker grill?

5. Marty

I meant the backside of the connector could be flush. Naturally, the full connector would stick out and you'd need to come up with a way to prevent bumps from tearing the ribbon cable...maybe by modifying the pen clip?

6. rhymes

rhymes Pen Pal - Newbie

You can bring the connector from the back of the tablet (the door where the reset button is)

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

7. Mr. Boosh

I took another look at the picture you posted:

[​IMG]

Routing the ribbon through the left speaker would actually need far more cable, since it would slot in to the left and go out to the right of the M.2 connector. You would need to bend it 3 times to route it back to the left speaker. Ribbon cables are usually pretty flat, I think sitting on top of the battery wouldn't be a huge issue? Totally unsure about this one, and I'm sure there's a very good reason why the battery is all by itself with no other components sitting on it. Nonetheless, if I went out out the pen clip, it would basically be a straight shot from the M.2 connector to the opening, straight across the battery.

I really want to try this, but I have Microsoft Complete on this machine.

8. Marty

Definitely, the pen clip opening seems like a cleaner solution. And the plastic insert might be modified into connector holder to prevent damage from bumps.

Basically, I would do a soft test to see if there are EMI problems with the digitizer. If so, I'd add a layer of shielding over the cable covering the battery.

And only if all that failed, would I introduce bends into the cable for trying to speaker exit point. The cable is bar far my biggest concern:

Since the cable would be about a ~200mm run, that's much greater than than expected direct connection. This is different than using PCIe risers, because the max power output of the m.2 port is much lower. We might either to be super low impedance cable, or more likely, power boost from the signal source.

This means it might be better to go with a m.2 to pci-e connector as you suggested in the OP, rather a simple m.2 extender in the 2nd post, but of course that re-introduces the problem of the 'dangly cord'.

9. Mr. Boosh

Doesn't look like that extender would even work? It's based on M.2 Socket 1 (type 2230) which is M.2 E-key PCIe x2. I don't think that would even plug into the slot.

10. FedericoQA

FedericoQA Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there! I've been playing with this idea too. I think that the best way out is by the vents right below the M2 card (Half of it can be seen in the picture). Located behind the stand (you have to open the stand to see it from the outside)

For removing this vent you have to stand the VZC and slide down the vent panel, inserting your nails into the vents, no tools needed.

This way you can hide the cable closing the panel and uncover it to play. Other alternative is to modify it... if it is ugly doesn't matter... the stand is going to be hiding this vent panel hehe. And the third option is to just take the panel away and have the cable hanging there (not a meter of cable hehe.. just a few cm, again the stand is going to cover and protect it when closed into a bag or when being carried)

Marty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.