External DVD drive recommendations?_

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by tgv, Aug 24, 2012.

1. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everybody,

I picked up a S7S a couple of months ago (good prices on amazon.co.uk now for anybody that doesn't want to wait for the new wave of slates towards the end of the year). So far no bezel lifting issues but will hold off voting in the poll for a bit as for 3 weeks I've been on holiday and not using the slate.

Well, now I'm back and I wanted to set up my slate with some of the peripherals I need to make it fully-functioning for my uses (hdmi leads, external DVD drive etc etc.)

But I've encountered a few problems when trying to chose a usb DVD drive. I need this because I would like to be able to watch a movie DVD on the slate from time to time, use the drive to install different pieces of software which come on CD and DVD and write music CDs and data DVDs to back up data from the slate's hard drive

I've been about to buy one twice now before reading something in the reviews that made me think the product might not be appropriate for the S7S and my needs

Many drives seem to require connection to two usb ports in order to draw enough power to work (or at least they say they do, then many of the reviewers state that in fact on many systems they'll work fine with just one USB connection). To complicate the issue more I think the usb ports need to be adjacent, which would rule out using these drives with the slate even when docked, right? this was the case, for example, with this drive I saw
    Samsung SE-S084F External USB 2.0 Slimline 8X DVD Writer - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

hen I was about to buy this drive

AmazonBasics USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

when I read someone complain that it wouldn't play movies, and somone responded by saying that for that purpose this drive would be the wrong product, as it is just for writing data to DVD. SO my question is, how can I distinguish between DVD drives which are also suitable for watching movies and those which are just for writing data.

And can anybody recommend one that works well for all my purposes with the slate (i.e., that won't have problems drawing enough power)?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. MrG

MrG Pen Pal - Newbie

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, any USB DVD drive should not have any issues with playing movies (if you see a review that says otherwise, you can safely ignore the review, probably it was a software thing, or them not knowing what they were doing exactly. Trust me on this, just use a decent video player like VLC or the built in Windows media player [Win 7/8])

I have never bought one of the 'store brand' DVD drives, instead I have taken DVD drives from laptops and put them in a about $12 USB housing I got from ebay, something like this but one that had local shipping NEW SATA TO External USB case enclosure for 12.7mm SATA DVD drive W8 | eBay or one of these USB DVD enclosure | eBay If you have a laptop with a decent DVD drive, and you think you could easily remove it (most have a quick release, or something similar) then that would be the #1 option IMO as you know how it works, and it is a lot cheaper... only thing is pay attention to what type of DVD drive you have: IDE vs SATA type, and regular 12.Xmm vs the slim 9.Xmm.

As for powering either a store brand one or a DIY one, you can use 2 USB ports when one isn't supplying enough power (that shouldn't be an issue on the S7s as its a pretty new mainstream device) and you can use one port on the device with the USB 'power and data cable' -its the thicker of the two cables and plugs into the USB port on the DVD drive-, and one port from pretty much ANYTHING that supplies proper USB voltage (other computers, USB wall chargers, USB hubs, I've used most of them and they all work -this uses the thinner power only connector that is USB on one side and likely connects to a power jack type connector on the DVD drive, if that makes sense)

If you have any questions I should be able to answer them...

4. violet182

violet182 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the exact same samsung drive you linked to and it works fantastic. Have burnt cd's and dvd's with my slate and watched movies and installed my slate software with no problems.

5. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very muich for the helpful advice and links.

Agent 9, the idea of taking the dvd drive from my old laptop was nearly perfect for me, as one of the reasons for the purchase of the slate is to replace an old laptop machine. unfortunately, one of the parts of the laptop that had started to fail just happens to be the DVD drive which has been bust for a while, so I'll have to buy a new one.

Violet182, it´s good to know you´ve been using that drive successfully, it might just sway me to purchasing that one. I take it it works fine only attached to one USB port then? And for playing movies?

Thanks again guys for the help!

6. rom 17

rom 17 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I have a slate 21 and a external samsung dvd driver Se-S084F. what software did you have to install in order to work. Thank you!