External CD Drives

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jerryrock, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enriquenator

enriquenator Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's a question:

Would an external DVD-R drive or something similar bought from newegg rather than manufacturer work with tablets such as the HP TC4200 and the IBM X41?
    I know that Toshiba always makes it so you can only use Toshiba optical drives on machines like the Protege M200, but haven't heard much either way about HP or IBM.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There should be no issues with other brand compatibility. Just make sure you choose a name brand external drive that will come with appropriate drivers and burning software.

3. enriquenator

enriquenator Pen Pal - Newbie

can you recomend any particular brand(s)?

4. Barry J. Doyle

I would go with Sony, Lacie or Plextor. You will pay a bit more for the Sony, but it comes with great software extras.

5. rider

rider Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the external CD/DVD drive question is rather relevant since many of the tablets come without an internal drive. Only their own external drive will allow you to use the recovery CD. At the same time the manufacturers offered drives cost much more than the market price for similar ones. So you are sort of black mailed by them. I have e-mailed questions to customer /tech support of Fujitsu/HP/IBM asking to give me a list of compatible manufacturers. It has been over a week - still no response! I wonder how friendly they become after the purchase :)
    BTW, after one tries the tablets PC, there is no going back to those clumsy notebooks.

6. Barry J. Doyle

rider,

I would call Fujitsu. Their support is outstanding and I am frankly surprised that you have not heard back yet.

Also, You should be able to use a recovery CD with any brand external drive, provided the CD is bootable. Also the settings in the Tablet PC's bios for the drive boot order needs to be set.

7. SuperRob

SuperRob Pen Pal - Newbie

"There should be no issues with other brand compatibility. Just make sure you choose a name brand external drive that will come with appropriate drivers and burning software."

Actually, there is one minor issue ... bootable CD. Toshiba supposedly restricts their laptops to disallow booting from anything other than a Toshiba branded CD/DVD drives.

This probably wouldn't be an issue for most people, but where it becomes a problem is if you have to restore your system from the original discs.

8. rider

rider Pen Pal - Newbie

that is exactly my point! I used to own Lifebook B2130 (not a tablet, but a touchscreen makes it functionally similar) - to use the recovery CD , fujitsu brand drive was needed. it simply adds to the price of the system - you don't want to be stuck with corrupted program and not beiing able to do recovery.
    I am looking for a new tablet right now, so wanted to figure out if this si still the issue. thanks p.s. I will try to reach tech support for either ibm/fujistu/hp since those are my choices

9. jerryrock

jerryrock Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using the HP dvd640 it has USB and Firewire connectivity, and writes to DVDR/RW,CDR/RW it also has "LightScribe" technology which allows laser inscribing for titling your media. (special media only). Max speeds: 16 DVD, 40X CD.