external battery pack for Venue 8 Pro?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by twonth, Dec 2, 2013.

1. twonth

twonth Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody know which external battery packs work best to recharge our beloved Venue 8 Pro on the go?

To start with: I have a Limeade L180X that can output 5V/1A or 5V/2.1A. The 5V/1A setting will charge the Venue 8 Pro (slowly...); the 5V/2.1A setting doesn't work at all.

hp2 likes this.
  2. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll apologize for first thinking this might be a silly question - that's probably my short sightedness. My first thought was that any any external accessory battery pack that will run a laptop will run and charge this little machine. Maybe you're looking for something much smaller, though. I've got one that will run my older notebook, and it's got a USB port on it that will charge or run almost anything you plug into it - but it's thicker and heavier than the Venue 8 itself.

It's also odd to me that the lower setting (1A) works and the higher one (2.1A) doesn't work. It's counter intuitive to me. My immediate thought was you just need one with plenty of juice.

So - turns out to be a great question. What size and weight is acceptable?

I've got a Lenmar PPU916 that's rated at 5500mAH.11.1v. It seems to charge the Venue 8 just fine, but I haven't tested charge time. It's the same width and almost as long as the Venue, and twice as thick. I'll bet you can hook it up and run the Venue, duct tape 'em together for days on end, but I'm guessing you want something a little more elegant? :)

3. landofvanilla

landofvanilla Pen Pal - Newbie

That's odd that it wouldn't charge since the V8P power adapter is rated for 5v/2a.

4. twonth

twonth Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, it's weird. If I use the 5V/2.1A setting, then the battery powers on for a second at the moment the V8P is attached, but then the battery detects something wrong and automatically shuts off.

I don't have any hard requirements on size and weight, though I would like a pretty solution in the end.

For now I'd like to know about any reasonable options that charge the battery as fast (or about as fast) as the wall adapter. It seems (haven't done formal tests) that under serious use, the 1amp setting on the Limeade wouldn't keep up with the battery discharge. Maybe the Lenmar unit does better.

5. xrayzebra

(EDIT: This worked great a couple of times, and then failed to work on another occasion. See later post below.)

If size and weight don't matter (within reason) the Lenmar or something similar might do the trick nicely. Looks like this is still available - I bought mine a few years ago. It comes with a variety of tips for various laptop chargers, so if you're using it for USB only, it will be charging based on 16 or 19 v inputs, but delivering 5.1 v from a single USB port. You could also carry the adaptor for a larger notebook if you travel with multiple devices as I sometimes do. It was designed as a universal auxiliary battery for a more power hungry laptop. I'm thinking you could run and charge a V8P for ~days~ on it, as well as charging other USB chargeable devices like a phone. I doubt anyone would want to strap it to a V8P, but the size is right, if you want to go for a world record on using one away from an AC outlet or something. :)

lenmar1.jpg

lenmar2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    hp2 likes this.
  6. xrayzebra

Update:

My Lenmar battery suddenly refuses to charge the V8P. Actually, it's not the Lenmar, but all devices other than the Dell charger. My V8P won't take a charge from the battery shown above, from the USB port on my universal laptop charger, OR from the USB port on a laptop. It was charging from any of these, but now refuses any juice except that from the OEM charger. Anyone got any ideas?

7. runtohell121

runtohell121 Pen Pal - Newbie

The Jackery Bar 5600mah charges the Dell V8P but doesn't last long lol

8. xrayzebra

The weird thing, though, is how it will take a charge on a device at one time but not another. I'm not sure what that's about. One of the most important things you want to know about any charging scheme is that it will ALWAYS work when you leave the house or the office with a limited selection of choices. Having seen this battery work the first two times I used it, I left the OEM charger at home when I went on a recent trip. When I needed to charge the V8P, it wouldn't take the charge. Moral of that story: stick to the OEM charger. or at least keep it handy.

9. twonth

twonth Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the update. My Limeade isn't working either! As I said before, the 2.1A setting never worked. I thought the 1A setting worked, but now it connects and disconnects repeatedly every 10 seconds or so! It's pretty useless.

Anyone have a portable charger that works reliably with the V8P?

10. Cr4zy

Cr4zy Pen Pal - Newbie