External Battery Options

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ajamils, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajamils

ajamils Pen Pal - Newbie

I was thinking about getting the Anker Astro3 for travel. Even though it fulfills most of my needs, the biggest issue I see is that Duo 11 has weird power requirements (its not the usual 12v) so it might not work with Anker 3. So given the power requirements of Duo11, are there any other external batteries that can work with it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...are there any other external batteries that can work with it?..>>

...I don't know what the Duo 11 requires for power, but one or another of these external batteries might be suitable:

<> Energizer XPal18000 Amazon.com: Energizer XP18000 Universal AC Adapter with External Battery for Laptops, Netbooks, and More: Computers & Accessories

<> Electrovaya PowerPad 130 Untitled Page

<> Tekkeon myPower ALL Untitled Page

There are other brands, as well, but I have used these (or they have received good comments on the forum).

Good luck

3. ajamils

ajamils Pen Pal - Newbie

Sony Duo has a weird power requirement of 10.5V where majority of devices require either 9V or 12V. So this limits majority of the external battery chargers because they do not provide that voltage. Either they are higher or lower than Duo's requirement.

4. Steve S

<<...Sony Duo has a weird power requirement of 10.5V...>>

The Tekkeon myPower ALL has the attribute that it can be set to many output voltages, including 10V and 11V. Either one would be satisfactory for your Duo 11. Tekkeon also offers one of the largest selection of adapter tips, too. So the chances are that the myPower ALL could work for you...

5. ajamils

ajamils Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. That will definitely work. The only issue is that it costs as much as the Sony sheet battery (that I already ordered). Might as well just order another sheet battery :)

6. Steve S

<<...The only issue is that it costs as much as the Sony sheet battery...Might as well just order another sheet battery...>>

...When comparing price, one should also consider utility. What is the W-hr capacity of the Sony battery slice? If it is smaller than the myPower ALL (58 W-hr), then that is one consideration. A second consideration is that the myPower ALL can be used with other devices because of the wide range of voltage settings and the unusually large number of Tekkeon adapter tips.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with simply buying another Sony battery slice; just be sure you've considered all the pro's and con's...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. ajamils

ajamils Pen Pal - Newbie

Steve,

Thanks for your reply and I agree with your point. I started doing some research about the battery that you mentioned and though it seems to be perfect for my requirements, it has pretty bad reviews (specially on Amazon). How long have you used yours and how's your experience so far ?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2.

8. Steve S

<<...How long have you used yours and how's your experience so far ?..>>

...The care and feeding of external batteries is not difficult, but it does require periodic attention. Many users experience poor performance and short battery life because they charge the batteries and then leave them in a drawer for weeks or months between use. This type of use case will eventually kill any rechargeable battery. Batteries are made to be used, and any battery will give the best performance within its lifespan if it is used on a regular basis. It is also helpful to not to discharge the battery too deeply in any given cycle, and not to keep the battery at 100% for weeks at a time. See: Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University .

I have owned my Tekkeon MP3450i R2 for about a year and a half, and it seems to be performing well. As outlined above, I try to use it on a regular basis and I maintain the charge between about 95% and about 15%. That's about all I can say about it, except that I use it with three different tablets; That's a nice benefit of Tekkeon's flexible design.

In response to your comment, I checked Amazon, but I did not find any user reviews or comments regarding the my PowerAll entries. However, adverse user comments about external batteries are not uncommon. I theorize that most casual users simply don't understand how to use these batteries to their best effect and are therefore disappointed with the results.

Note that everything above also applies to a Sony battery slice! The bottom line is that if you don't use it, no battery will give you the service life that you've paid for.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.