External Battery for Surface Pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dgeffs, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Here is a external battery for SP3 by the way (but **** it's expensive!)...>>

...The price of the 96 W-Hr battery is fairly typical. The 195 W-Hr battery does look a bit pricey...!

<<...There response was that MS power connector is proprietary and that they could not duplicate...>>

...The Pro(1) / Pro 2 DC connector was also proprietary, but that didn't prevent third parties from offering accessories with that connector. Energizer may not be interested in licensing the design, but clearly other third parties are not (previous post)...

3. red zebra

red zebra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, new guy here so please don't shoot me for some daft questions.
    Am building a ruggedised system into a case, there is an Advantech single board computer, USB hub, network switch, 12-5v dc convertor, audio amp, etc etc in there. That all runs from a 80Wh Li-ion battery distributed on Din rails. On top of all this is a SP which is where my problems start!
    I have a separate unit with the battery charger and original SP PSU in it, they connect to a plug on the side of the case, then inside, to the din rails for distribution.
    I have been reading through this thread for some weeks now as I try to fathom my problems. Cable wiring is red, blue, yellow and screen.
    So I have 12v, no probs, I'm sure I read somewhere about putting a resistor across the blue/yellow to take out the det cct (was going to use this off battery initially but changed the cct!), which I have (500R on the charging cable from the SP, only red and screen are connected to the Din rails), but the bloody thing will not charge.
    It says it is plugged in and charging, but the current draw is jumping all over the place from a few mA to over 2A and it is actually just slowly depleting the battery.
    This is doing my head in so any help would be appreciated folks

4. CorinaT

CorinaT Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a very interesting project but can I ask you why you doing this, there are plenty of options that are safe for your Surface. In your case if something goes wrong and the battery dies, your Surface would have to be taken apart or worse.

5. red zebra

red zebra Pen Pal - Newbie

We are building a number of systems for a customer, in the end we have just had to wire things through din rails maintaining the connections. Now I am at the end, the 10th and final system and the power light doesn't come on the charger plug and the voltage is jumping between approx 11.5 and 5 v, can't turn the tablet on, suspect the tablet as it is doing this with an other charging pack. All the wiring is correct and has been continuity checked. So damned annoying!

6. Paul Schulz

Paul Schulz Pen Pal - Newbie

7. bjornb

bjornb Pen Pal - Newbie

Paul Schulz: You connected the blue wire, but not the yellow one?

I have upgraded my old SP1 to SP4, and need to create a new cable to use my external pack. I did some work on the SP1 chargers (earlier in this thread here).
    I have now cut and connected powerpole connectors to a SP3/SP4 charger (see attached image).

On the old SP1 charger the yellow wire was used to activate the charger and the white led on the surface connector, and the blue wire was used to identify the charger (wattage/current).

On my initial test on the SP3/SP4 charger there seems to be no need to connect the yellow and blue wires.. The charger doesnt seem to need activation on the yellow wire, and the white led also activates without yellow and blue connected.

Does anyone else have experience with the cabling on the SP3/SP4 charger?
    I am thinking the blue wire is maybe more relevant/needed if I would use the SP4 charger on a higher current device like the Surface Book as well, but since I only have the SP4 I may perhaps ignore that..

Attached Files:

8. Step1

Step1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Surface Pro 1 and I want to use a 12V/2.5A power bank as a power supply. To do so, I need to limit the current draw, the same way the Surface RT power brick does.

For the recall :
    - The SRT brick provides 2A whereas the SP1 brick provides 3.6A.
    - The SRT brick works on the SP1: the SP1 detects it and limits the current draw (*).
    - The detection is done via the central pin of the power connector.

(*) By reducing the share devoted to recharging the internal battery.

AFAIK, the detection method is still unknown to us. My first guess would go for something simple : a resistor coding for the PSU type (as seen in the USB realm).

For the recall, here is the pinout of the SP1 power connector :
    1. GND
    2. 12V
    3. DETECT
    4. 12V
    5. GND

At the PSU of my SP1, I measured 12.72kΩ between GND and DETECT pins.

I someone with a DMM stills owns a Surface RT with the original 2A brick, would they be so kind as to measure the resistance between GND and DETECT pins ? (After having unplugged it from the wall of course)

9. Steve S

<<...If someone with a DMM stills owns a Surface RT with the original 2A brick, would they be so kind as to measure the resistance between GND and DETECT pins ?..>>

@Step1 : My measurement was 4.86 kΩ . My AC adaptor is a model 1512; rated output is 12V at 2 A.

Step1 likes this.
  10. Steve S

Step1 likes this.