External Battery for Surface Pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dgeffs, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgeffs

dgeffs Pen Pal - Newbie

I suspect several of us have been using the Energizer Energi-To-Go battery for extra battery power and chargingother mobile devices. I've used one for previous tablets like the HP 500 and Samsung S7S and they work really
    well.

Who will be the first to decode the power connector and figure out a way to make this work with the SP? It won't be cheap because the connector is proprietary so it is likely a new charger will have to be sacrificed in order to get the connector. But an external battery with higher capacity than the internal battery would seem appealing for extended sessions away from AC power.

Someone must be considering this - please share.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Someone must be considering this - please share...>>

From my initial user review of the Surface RT ( http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/53600-surface-rt-user-reviews-2.html ):

"Finally, the AC adapter is compact and cleanly styled. The AC prongs fold upward into the body when not used. The cord is limp and flexible and the magnetic DC connector is compact and "snagless" (i.e. won't catch on things). The DC connector has a faint, white LED that tells you the adapter and RT are connected, but that's about it (it doesn't, for example, seem to change colors or blink or...). The adapter produces 12V DC at 2.0A. After a brief check with a volt meter, the voltage appears to be in pins #1 and #4. Please regard my observation with caution because I haven't yet had the opportunity to test all the possible combinations of the 5 pins."

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Here is the pin ID for the power connector:

Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit

Starting from either end of the connector, the pins are Ground (-), 12V DC (+), Sense/Detect, 12V DC and Ground.

The problem here may be the Detect pin, which may be passing a digital "ID" to the Surface, telling it that the charger is authentic and / or the charger is operating normally...

4. dgeffs

dgeffs Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the link. It does look like that center pin could be a deal breaker unless someone can figure out how to simulate what is needed there. I still may purchase another adapter and break it apart to see what is happening. I don't have any electronic test gear to determine what is present on that pin other than a voltmeter. Perhaps it is something simple like a voltage for the LED that illuminates when current flow is detected on the 12VDC pins. I think it's worth a try.

5. plebianJay

plebianJay animation monkey

There's also the possibility of using the keyboard connector to add battery life using the additional contacts that were added to the SP. Looking at the ifixit images, it looks like the outer connectors are ground, and the inner two are positive. I'm sure there's more to it than that for hooking up a battery to it though.

6. dgeffs

dgeffs Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like there is no detection issue with using an external battery. I bought an RT charger, cut off the connector and wired it to an Energizer Energi-to-Go battery and it appears to work fine. I've only tested it for a few minutes but that will change later in the week.

There are 4 wires in the connector cable with the red and black being obvious choices or +12 and ground. The blue wire is connected to the center post on the connector but it isn't needed. The white wire doesn't go to anything in the connector that I can see. I'm guessing these handle the small LED light in the connector but I'm not really sure. When connected the battery icon in the system tray shows the plug indicating it is plugged and charging. Be careful YMMV.

7. JanAWD

JanAWD Pen Pal - Newbie

I am thinking of using the Sanho Magic Box, (which they rigged for the MacBook Pro - for their Hyperjuice batteries) - on the DC connector of the Surface Pro. Any thoughts on whether you think this could work? Here's specs/info on the Magic Box: HyperJuice Magic Box User Guide - iFixit

8. dgeffs

dgeffs Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't know about this specific device but the voltage is 12VDC and anything that produces this should work. The only issue is the connector which, at this point, must be salvaged from a Surface charger.

9. JanAWD

JanAWD Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks - Splicing the surface pro adapter cable and hooking it to a Sanho hyperjuice 2 battery using Sanho's magic box works perfectly lfine . Yes, it does mean sacrificing a second connector cable to do so, but to me it is worth to me to able to charge the unit externally with a battery while on long flights or trip.

10. xterrapro

xterrapro Pen Pal - Newbie

post pics pls.