Extending The C:Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aicent, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aicent

Aicent Pen Pal - Newbie

I have Fujitsu T731 that I purchased recently and I am having trouble trying to extend the partition on the c:drive , right now i only have 140 gb and that is...not going to work out.
    Can anyone give any help about this issue ?
    To be specific the problem is that when I right click the C:drive and try to click EXTEND it is grey/disabled

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Aicent

Aicent Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using windows 7

4. Lion_IX

Lion_IX Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a similar problem which may be the case here. You can only extend partitions to eat up empty space to the right of the partition you want to extend. So, if you cut your HD up to install another operating system, then you cannot switch to that OS as your only one by trying to clear the original partition and extending. The only way to extend to the left is with some other software. Be careful though. I had some problems doing it so I just ended up giving up and reformatting everything and doing clean Win8 install.

5. Aicent

Aicent Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a little confused about what you are saying but maybe a screenshot would help [​IMG][/IMG]

6. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, you can clearly see your HDD is filled with partitions entirely. For one to grow another one needs to shrink and that's made automatically.

I'm not sure how Windows handles shrinking of partitions, but iirc it can only "cut off the right end". Without dynamic disks, iirc, you also can't have a volume be not a continuous part of a disk and I'm also not sure off hand if such a volume can be bootable. Dynamic disks should be avoided anyway, though.

Backup everything you have on D, then delete D. Then you can extend C. You can then either make C take up the space of D also and copy what was on D on C, or make C just a bit larger and create a new D.

7. Aicent

Aicent Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok I am a little confused about what you are saying but I will try to sort of learn more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.