Extended Warrenty (start or sucker)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by ScubaX, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClockworkDoc

ClockworkDoc Pen Pal - Newbie

(Smart or Sucker)

Hi All,

I wanted to know if you felt that the extended warranty was worth it. I was able to negotiate gateway down to $1099 for a new C-142XL. Adding a 3 year extended warranty for another $160.

Do I really need that warranty or would i be fine with the typical 1 yr warranty?

Also, I don't really need the laptop now. Should I wait and buy one next month when I actually need it?

2. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

It really depends on your level of ability as far as troubleshooting goes...

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but have built all my computers and really don't need the tech support... If you can follow directions and don't mind reading a bit, its pretty easy to support your own computer...

BUT.. and I really stress the word "BUT"

If you don't know what basic terms like "reformat" and "clean install" and or don't know how to do them, then I would get the warranty.

Having said that, I myself actually DID get the warranty , but only because I wanted to get the accidental coverage (3yrs)... So... If I decide to "accidentally" drop my tablet out of a driving car... (Just in case I feel the need) or if I blow the speakers (very likely) then I don't really have to worry... Just call them up and either order the part OR have someone come and replace them...

The question is more do YOU feel that you would need a warranty that covers the programs and OS that CAME with the system and the hardware should any manufacturer defect occur... (e.g. overheating, warping of plastic due to overheating, failing hard drive, damaged or poorly operating memory...)

Good luck on your decision and I hope that helps!

-Spart

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

What does the ability to reformat my drive or to do a clean install have to do with a premature hardware failure? $160 is nothing in comparison to the cost of repair of the components in your TPC. The extended warranty may have a side benefit of tech support for those that need the help restoring the system, but the real purpose is to cover that LCD, MB or whatever that fails after the 1 year warranty.

I've used the extended warranty on Sony and IBM laptops - both with higher build quality than this Gateway.

4. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

Uh... Like trouble shooting if it REALLY is a hardware issue...?

I can't say for sure, but I'm inclined to believe that if he knows how (has the ability or knowledge ) to do the reformat and install that he'll know how to troubleshoot drivers...

You can't beat getting the hardware replaced during the first year if in the case of a hardware failure... But that's a BIG if...

I agree with Scuba.. The cost is worth it... But only if YOU think you need it.

-Spart

5. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm getting close to the 1yr cutoff. so far so good. still debating for the warranty

6. ClockworkDoc

I'll chance it! No warranty for me, rather I'll just add this to my renters policy.

Hey in 2 years time, I'll have some extra bucks to spend on the C-149XXXL.

7. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

I've always made good use of the warrenty.

It's stuff that you can't forsee that usually makes it worth it. Maybe there's a defect with the computer, but it doesn't show up until a year or so later, or your apartment floods overnight with the computer on the floor... In the long run, it's worth the extra money just in case. You never know what will happen.

8. ClockworkDoc

I'll get laptop insurance at $35/year to cover all incidentals not related to the operation of the laptop.

9. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Renters insurance works better..

10. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Until they cancel you for a claim like that or increase your rates. I have a separate insurance for a UW camera in addition to renters insurance by two different companies. They tend to find ways to not cover items, cancel you, or decrease the amount that you would expect. So I won't jeopardize the renters insurance for one item claim. Plus your going to have a deductible. The additional insurance for the camera pays no matter what happens and when it happens for full replacement up to 6k dollars. I had a burglary once for several thousands in computer and scuba gear. Got canceled as soon as they paid off.

I would rather have my renters insurance intact just in case southing serious happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.