ExpressCard Modem now available in Oz!!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Brian, Nov 24, 2006.

1. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

I was fortunate enough to be the first to buy a retail R1F (in the world!?), and I am lucky to be the first in Oz to get the new ExpressCard modem, just released today...! That's right Aussies, now you can buy a modem for that humble expresscard slot. I think the Americans are ahead with this. Not only has Three released it, but their pricing is excellent ($10 for the modem, $49 per month plan, 1Gb download). I initially bought Chilli's USB modem but I'm so glad now I returned it weeks ago due to poor signals.

The hardware is the Merlin XU870 3G 3.6Mbps HSDPA ExpressCard. Three are upgrading their networks and HSDPA will be available early 07, meaning downloads of 1Mb/sec average in real life. I believe that will be the fastest speed in the wireless world in Oz once released. At the moment I'm averaging 400kbps/sec on 3 bars of signal (half way).

Click here for product page.

The modem is incredibly small, the size of a full size mars bar. It has a flip up antenna and multiple colour leds for notification. Software is ingenious with sms software. The blue light matches the blue lights of the R1 (on UMTS network). Perfect fit and look.

I'll provide more info later. Got big day tomorrow, need to sleep...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, thankfully Verizon and others are offering those now in the US. Took them long enough!