Express to PCMCIA Adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by minimoose, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incomprehensible

incomprehensible T4220 Owner

Hi. I've been reading the posts here for a week now but I finally decided to make an account and I'd just like to say this is an absolutely wonderful and helpful forum; everything I know about Tablets is from here. ;)

My question is this: Does anyone know if there exists (or currently in development) an Express Card to PCMCIA Adapter (where the laptop has a PC card slot, and the adapter allows the use of express cards)? I've tried Google, but to no avail. I'm wondering because I plan on getting a T4215 in the future (June/July 2007), but according to the CNET review it has no Express Card slot, only a PC card slot.

Basically what I want to do is use the laptop itself for classwork (yay for modular battery! makes all-day computing almost possible), but for gaming & other graphic intensive stuff I can plug in the Asus XG Station (which plugs into an express slot). Of course, since that isn't even out yet we don't know what it will be compatible with so my question may become moot point.

Thanks,
    incomprehensible

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You know I saw an announcement just yesterday on this. Of course, I'll be damned if I can't find it again. Unless someone else came across the article, it should get indexed in the next day or so and the article will show up through a search.

That said, I would not count on the Asus XG station working this way. I suggest you wait for some other poor soul to be a guinea pig before making this investment.

3. MCW

MCW Pen Pal - Newbie

This may be a really dumb question, but is there any such thang as, or hope for, something going the other way round, so the laptop has a pcmcia, and i want to pluch in a pci express card?

4. incomprehensible

incomprehensible T4220 Owner

Actually now that I think about it, is it even possible to make the adapter I was asking about? The bandwidth rates between Express Cards and PC cards differ greatly and going from a faster speed to a slower speed would be a serious setback for the XG Station (and anything else for that matter), so such an adapter would be useless (for my intended purposes).

Anyway, thanks for replying.

5. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

First of all welcome to the forums as a member.

I know that they have PCMCIA to express adapter, but I will have a hunt for it.

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

I can't say that I've seen a PC Card to Express but from an electical point of view it should be possible. However as you point out it would have all of the limitations of PC Card so unless you need an Express card for compatibility with a slow device (where a PC Card is not available) I'm not sure there really is a point.

7. minimoose

minimoose Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.