Exporting from Concepts app (on iPad)

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by wytn, Aug 5, 2019.

1. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

Concepts App on iPad:

It's not possible to export to PSD without passing by Adobe Creative Cloud

Does it merely requires such an Adobe CC account or a full subscription?
    (i have no idea how CC works. :\)

The alternatives i see: SVG for the strokes/vector data. PNG without layers.

I haven't bought any of the two PDF export options yet. But i think the overal result is kinda the same?
    --> Flat file PDF (without layers) or vector file PDF without brush data?

And what is the actual result of the PSD export? I thought/hoped it would be raster/pixel flattened layers. But now i'm doubting

How do YOU do? What is your workflow with Concepts?

PS: i may be missing something, it's another one of these "missing too much sleep"-days

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not a big user of Concepts (I have a 2017 iPad) but isn't there a Concepts export option available by subscription? I think their model is - here's a free tool but if you decide to expand your use to the point you want to make pro work - subscribe for our own pro tools you subscribe / pay for.

Question is whether their subscription is cheaper than Adobe's in the end for you specifically.

3. wytn

As far as i know, the export options available by subscription are the same things that are available to buy individually that i already have, an 'essential' pack and individual purchases (including the two different PDF export options). I remember they emphasized not wanting to force the subscription plan on everyone and thus keeping everything indenpendently available to be in-app one-time purchases.

So having to be an Adobe Cloud subscriber because they only exports .PSD files by sending them to Adobe Cloud instead of exporting the files locally to your own device (a device i bought! not one i rent...) seems a little twisted imho.
    I'll take another look into all this at a later date/time..

i don't think i would have a very fitting use of Concepts anyway, at least for now... The first 'intricate' (=messy, just messy) thing i made with it that i tried to export was more of a sketch than a clean vector design. I ended up with one very large PNG file (heh, infinite canvas!) and a SVG file, both crashed the Photo and Files apps each time i tried to open/display them on my Mini 5. (3gb of RAM)

I like infinite canvas painting apps (Mischief and more recent ones) plus Concepts has a really cool touch interface (and brushes and i haven't explored the shapes yet...) But...

I don't know. Perhaps it is really strictly a more classical vector app and i shouldn't expect it to support a more sketching/painting approach.

Anyway, thanks for your reply! :)

(BBL: Reinstalling an old PS version on my PC to paint with custom shapes...)

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You don't have to pay a subscription to keep your Adobe account active. Also Adobe Reader DX is something Adobe still give for free because they have to compete with free PDF readers like Foxit and if you have an old copy of PS like I have, you can then open your pdf with layers in Photoshop or any other application that will open pdfs with layers.

Here's the quote from the Concepts page:

"PSD — Choose PSD if you’re exporting to Adobe’s creative suite. Adobe’s Photoshop format supports multiple layers in a high-res PNG raster format. This export type requires an Adobe Creative Cloud account, and exports straight to the account."

Another option - if you have a PC, download Concepts from the Windows Store and export your Concepts file in native Concepts format and you can continue working from there?

wytn likes this.
  5. wytn

Thanks a lot, it replies to my main question! I guess i still must have an old Adobe CC account, i'll have to find my logins :)

I was still kind a bit of annoyed that it required the account and to be logged-in just for an export feature! It's one more less straightword thing to a workflow... One more hop and to require a DL and PSD files can be big, i often (again) have only very slow (A)DSL connections... With pityful upload bandwith — 100ko/sec. I had a symetric 30mb/sec — uh in terms of real bandwith/rates) FTTH/fiber connection for a couple of months. I miss it!

I have Concepts on Win10 but... Does the Win version can export directely to PSD?
    It's many hops but i guess either way it can work.

Anyway, i think for now, Concepts won't be really part of any workflow of mine... But maybe later!

Thanks again! :)