explanation for harddrive space?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by whiteBB6, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiteBB6

whiteBB6 Pen Pal - Newbie

When I ordered my tx2500z from hp.com it came with a 250gb harddrive
    ever since i got the computer the only programs i installed/used that weren't already on the harddrive were doom3 and crayon physics.

my local disk (c) says it has 162gb free of 222GB and my hp recovery has 1.78 free of 10.3Gb
    when i add that up, it becomes 233.3gb
    my question is
    1) why does my c drive only have 162 gb free? i checked inside C drive and i couldn't find any folders over 4gb. i only found 2 folders that were 2 or so gb then program files(x86) to be 4.39gb. i dont see 60gb being used anywhere for any programs...could this be the crapware hp has installed or something?

2) my harddrive is supposed to be 250, but i only can add up to 233.3gb?

thanks

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1) Your computer has hidden files... Goto 'View' then 'Folder Options'. Select the 'View' tab and then select 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'. This may give you more insight into your missing space... make sure you turn it back off though, it messes with your desktop.

2) (1000/1048)*X where X= manufacturers reported HDD size. There is probably a hidden recovery partition that accounts for the missing 5gb

3. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

part of the hard is used for allocation tables (**** data) used to be insignificent when hard drives were only 40 meg, takes up rather more room for these large drives.

Data size does add up eventually, the default page file on mine (clean system) is 3gig, sw setup folder is 2gb. it is a bit odd tho, explorer says files total 24gb but the driver properties says 32gb. Could be explorer cant check the size of the index or the superfetch files.

4. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Explorer can, but those are some of the hidden files that I alluded to and (s)he will need to turn on hidden file viewing to see them. The Superfetch file can be over 1gb by itself.

5. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

There are several methods to count space. The correct one is by powers of 2, so a kilobyte is 1024 bytes, and a Megabyte is 1024 Kilobytes and a Gigabyte is 1024 Megabytes. HDD manufacturers like to count using 1kb=1000bytes 1MB = 1000kb etc. It's supposed to be user friendly or something but in reality it just inflates the space of your HDD. So we'll do a small calculation. Reportted HDD size in Gigabytes multiplied 3 times by 1000 (giga->mega->kilo->bytes) and then converted back to giga but using the correct 1024 numbers (250*1000*1000*1000)/(1024*1024*1024)=232.8

Also do HDD -> properties ->cleanup and erase shadow-copies they take tons of space.

EDIT:
    this is true for MEgabytes, but as I said, for Gigas it's (1000/1024)^3

6. Nihility

Nihility Pen Pal - Newbie

The hard drive companies are obviously doing it to inflate their numbers, however I think it's not really intuitive to count in powers of 2. We're just not used to it as regular people. We count in 10s and it's easier to understand just how much free space you have left that way.
    In my opinion it's time to dump the old method of counting 2s because we're not in 1980 where you had to be a complete nerd to use a computer.
    I'm sure there's some kind of reason to count in 2s for speed or efficiency or something else but there's no need for the end user to have to do math in his/her head everytime they want to copy a file.

7. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the humorous response :) Probably not intentional, but let me say good luck with that wish. Just thinking about that almost made my head explode.

8. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. whiteBB6

whiteBB6 Pen Pal - Newbie

how exactly do i go to view then folder options?
    under my computer?
    im sorry i dont follow lol

10. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

Its not 'view' on vista its 'organise' on any explorer window. (first button under the back button)

I did actualy have the hidden files off and there is still the 8gb discrepency.
    doesn't happen on the desktop system (explorer seems to over read for some reason).

oh UAC can block explorer from checking files sizes, so you need to turn it off before you try and check the used space with explorer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.