EXPERTS, pick one for me, too!

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by cstuartcompute, Nov 3, 2007.

1. cstuartcompute

cstuartcompute Pen Pal - Newbie

i just purchased the hp pavilion 1320 and am highly disappointed. i didn't realize there were so many types of touch screen technologies. i thought that is was either optical or pressure. the hp is pressure sensitive, but i'm so use to using a wacom pad that i can't stand the hp. it requires way too much pressure to get it to write, and it skips when drawing.

after reading tiffany's review on it, i realize now that i need one with penabled wacom technology. it is difficult to search for this as it is often left off of the spec sheet.

if anyone can help with a short list of the top wacom active tablet pcs, that would be great. i am an industrial designer and would need enough power to run rhino (an auto cad program). the 1320 had all the mem and ram i needed, but the tablet portion was a big disappointment.

please help!!

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi cstuartcompute,

Actually, the HP tx1000z series is pressure non-sensitive. It only has one level of pressure sensitivity; compared to 256 levels of pressure sensitivity a Tablet PC with a Wacom Penabled active digitizer. However, it does take a great deal of pressure to get the screen to recognize you are writing on the screen. But I get what you mean by it being pressure sensitive, you need some "gentle persuasion" (tap! TAP! tap!). ;)

As for which Tablet PCs have a Wacom Penabled active digitizer, you're in luck! The mass majority of Tablet PCs come with it!

I'll recommend a few, in no particular order:
    (I've bolded ones you should take a good look at, and that I recommend)

- Fujitsu LifeBook T4220
    - Gateway C-140X
    - Asus R1F/new soon-to-be-available R1E
    - Lenovo ThinkPad X61 (you may have quality issues with this one, bear this in mind when you deal with tech/customer support)
    - Toshiba Portege M400

Also, it would tremendously help us if you could copy, paste, and answer the Tablet PC Buying FAQ/Questionnaire found in my signature next to resources. Thanks!

3. cstuartcompute

price range: $1,000-$2,000
    screen size: 12" or larger
    very important: wacom penabled
    ram: at least 2gigs
    hard drive: at least 250gb
    processor: the faster the better
    dvd burner: yes
    web buying ok, but prefer walk in store
    screen: prefer matte
    resolution: crisp, not grainy

main use for computer is to run rhino 3d program and v-ray rendering software, illustrator, photoshop.

thanks!
    -chris

4. cstuartcompute

thanks so much! i guess i bought one of the only few without wacom. lol. that's great. tap! TAP! tap- is correct for sure. thanks for the list. i did another post with my main requirements. sorry- didn't see this response and did not copy/paste.

5. SimsHsia

I've merged your two threads together, try to keep them in one place, please! :)

---
    Thanks,

For your price range, you should take a look at the Gateway C-140XL, the one model with the ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 graphics card, now it will be a bit heavier than the HP tx1000z series you possess. The graphics card because you state you will be using "rhino 3d program and v-ray rendering software".

I personally have no experience with either of these two programs, so supposedly the Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 and new Asus R1E might be able to handle them, keep in mind that they do not possess a dedicated graphics card, instead going for the Intel Graphics Media Acclerator (GMA) X3100 integrated graphics chipset.

Most Tablet PCs will have this "grainy" display, mostly because of screen treatments; yet it's subjective for each user on how grainy it is. The tx1000z is grainy because the passive digitizer is on top of the actual LCD display; whereas a Tablet PC with an active digitizer is beneath or behind the LCD display.

6. cstuartcompute

you're a great help. i'll look into these pcs. thanks again!

7. ralsis

ralsis Pen Pal - Newbie

8. SimsHsia

Hi ralsis,

The list is out-of-date, and it is proven and known that the Gateway C-140X has a Wacom Penabled active digitizer. :)

The C-120X of course is there, yet the C-140X came shortly after the C-120X. I also find it funny that the Toshiba Portege M400 isn't listed there, yet the R400 is.

9. cstuartcompute

i searched wacom's list with hopes of finding a list just like this, but didn't have much luck. all i got was a list of supporters and something saying to check the manufacturer to see if it's penabled.
    anyway-
    thanks.

10. ralsis

ralsis Pen Pal - Newbie

I know, and I said it.