Experiment: (not so) wireless drawing monitor and android cintiq mode test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crazycat, Jun 25, 2019.

1. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Just a head-up, this is not a practical or useful setup, just some of the what-if that no one tried, for science :p. If anyone is interested, read up :D

I have a HP x2 612 g1 that has been serving me well, but its lack of HDMI port is annoying when I want to be portable with a bigger canvas. One day I noticed that it has Miracast build in, and I wondered if a Miracast dongle can turn a drawing monitor into a wireless display (at least in the display signal part). It should works, in theory.

List of tools used:
    - Anycast M2 dongle - 8$ from Lazada
    - UM16 drawing display (XP-Pen 15.6 rebranded). It's very portable and draw very little power, can be powered from an usb port.
    -female to female HDMI adapter to connect dongle to the HDMI side of the UM16
    -Otg cable for android test.
    -Xiaomi battery pack for power both the display and the dongle

First is Windows test, The UM16 is connected to the dongle via HDMI. Power usb cables from both the dongle and the UM16 is connected to a battery pack. The digitizer cable of the UM16 is connected to the HP tablet.

[​IMG]
    As expected, it worked. The display is mirrored, pen calibration is spot on, however... the latency is so bad it's unusable. Not sure if all Miracast are like this or it's the 8$ dongle...
    Cursor lag was so bad, lines catch up with pen tip very slowly it's impossible to draw properly. Here is a sad Pikachu I tried to sketch in this condition

[​IMG]

Next up is the exciting Android experiment :D . XP-Pen had confirmed that their graphic tablet works with Android 6.0 and above via OTG. So I thought, since the XP-Pen 15.6 also use the same digitizer tech, if the digitizer works via OTG, screen mirroring works via Miracast, then Android could be used in Cintiq mode!

The set up is similar to the Windows setup above, except that the digitizer cable is connected to Android phone via OTG port. Using the Android build-in mirroring features, the screen casting worked as expected. The pen, not so much. Without specific driver, the pen worked as mouse cursor in the Android system, without mapped drawing area. Also the mouse positioning is mapped badly with the long side of the display mapped to short side of the phone and vice-vesa,that make mouse mode impossible to control lines. Pressure works in Ibis Paint and Medibang, but it's no good with the uncontrollable mouse mode.
    [​IMG]

Then I downloaded the Deco Draw app which is developed specifically for XP-Pen graphic tablet. To my surprise, it worked! The drawing area is mapped to the whole display. There was some cursor offset due to my phone being 18:9, but it's close. Except that it's impossible to use the pen to pick tool from the tools bar, the pen cursor only works on the canvas. I have to pick tools with touch on the phone screen, which is likely software bug, the Artist 15.6 is not officially supported after all. Also unfortunately, wireless display latency is even worse than on Windows. Here is another sad Pikachu on Deco Draw App.
    [​IMG]
    Note the black dot above the pen tip, that is the drawing cursor which offset a bit due to different resolution. I assume it would be perfect on a 16:9 phone.

So the verdict is those setup is practically useless with bad display latency (though I don't know how much of it is the fault of the cheap dongle). This open up some possibilities : if a powerful enough Android phone connected to an USB-C hub/dock that output both HDMI and USB port, with native support of Deco Draw App, Cintiq mode with decent display quality on Android phone could be possible. Adding the fact that XP-Pen 15.6 display is thin, light and easily powered from a battery pack, it could be good on something similar to the Samsung dex :D

Edit: lugging the XP-pen and battery pack around is worse than a Windows tablet or an iPad though, so yeah not so practical.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Epic experiment! Thanks for sharing the results!

3. crazycat

I'm glad you like the result, that's what make experimenting so fun :D

That Android test came out better than I expected. I found out that the pen cursor when in native Android environment acted madly not because of mouse mode. The writing space is mapped to the phone display, but in portrait mode. Pen position is messed up because of oriental miss-match between the display and the phone. Even when phone is rotated to landscape, cursor still show where it supposed to be in portrait mode. Also the only display option is mirroring so there is black bar and cursor off set even when Deco Draw App force the position to landscape.

There is a hight chance that if Samsung Dex mode can use full resolution of the display, defaut the usage mode to destop landscape, then pen cursor probably can be fully matched at 1080p lanscape without the need of Deco Draw app. Deco Draw is so limited and buggy that it's not worth all the trouble of setting up, but if Medibang or ibis Paint can be used then that Cintiq mode set up can be perfectly usable.

@Marty if you have a high end samsung or a dock, mind trying that? My phone is a budget phone that I'm pretty sure that not have hdmi support :p

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a display dock that works with my phone (GN5). I'm thinking of upgrading to a Note model with USB-C, but prices are so high... x.x

5. crazycat

From what I looked up online, micro usb doesn't work because it only have 5 pin connection that can only either send display data or use usb device, not all at once. So only USB -C alt mode can work with both display and digitizer. With Android Q will come desktop mode and more native desktop support so the hope is high that any Android can work in Cintiq mode. I mean, the display and pressure is already solved, only software problem is oriental and resolution mapping.

On the other note, I noticed the UM16 is so dang battery-friendly. My 10000MAH battery pack haven't gone down to 75% yet after 4 hours of using. I'm guessing the pack can keep the monitor running for over 20 hours.

6. crazycat

Apparently someone else on this forum already tested a Wacom Cintiq 27 with Dex and it was a 100% success.http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/samsung-galaxy-note-9-dex-wacom-cintiq-3.74685/

Pen pressure works, oriental and resolution should be mapped OK as there were no complain, even touch and pen tilt works 0.0! Their phone is a Note phone though so probably tilt function is build in for the S-Pen

Another Reddit user tried their S8 phone Dex with the new Cintiq 16 (non-pro) but pen is not detected. Then they tried with older Cintiq Companion 2 and it worked. So the wacom pen driver built into Android is the older version, newer Cintiq with Pro pen 2 is not compatible.

None of them have problem with Oriental and resolution mapping with Dex. Other intuos user said that connect otg without Dex make drawing circle turn into oval because of oriental mismatch, so it's safe to assume that Dex can fix the oriental and resolution matching problem on the XP-pen 15.6

Now my hope is my phone can be upgraded to Android Q with desktop mode because Dex-enabled devices is costy x.x