Experience with Parallels Access???

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by wspi, Apr 9, 2017.

1. wspi

wspi Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings. Hope you're doing well.

Was wondering if anyone has had extensive use with the Parallels Access app on iOS (or Android)? It allows for remote desktop access to Windows and the ability to use full applications.

Is this a viable solution to have access to both worlds?

The basic use case is iOS based Microsoft Office apps. If I needed more functionality...I'd Parallels Access my home computer (Surface) running Windows for the full features. There may be some other Windows-only apps on my home computer as well...but it looks like I'd have access to them as well.

I know many have indicated that a Windows-based tablet is a minimum for legacy or Windows specific applications, but with this remote access option, would an iPad work? I have been in the Windows-based tablet since 2005...but I ran across this gem today. Would give an iPad Pro (v2, when available) a go if this was doable...likely more portable, long battery life, etc.

Update: OK...there are other remote desktop apps (free) that are also available. Does the inherent lag with remote desktop make this option untenable?

Thanks for your insights :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. wspi

wspi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. Appreciate all the views.

As I think about this more, a few items come to mind:
    1. Home computer with the necessary set up running
    2. Internet access (wifi / cellular) needed for the remote access
    3. Latency / lag creating an unworkable response time
    4. Screen resolution challenges
    5. Others...

These may be key items that would dissuade folks from this solution. I am imagining a case where the majority of my workflow could be handled on the iPad and more functionality would be "on demand" through remote access. Don't see it being frequent, but having the capability would be attractive...especially if viability was workable.

Anyhow, if anyone has leveraged remote desktop solutions and cared to comment, it would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

3. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

I've not done this using an iOS device, but I have used an 8" Windows tablet, very close to the screen size of an iPad Mini, to remotely run desktop apps using TeamViewer. In doing this, I've found that a touch-only tablet makes the task all but impossible. The UI elements on the desktop (both Windows and Mac desktops with 23-24" monitors) are way too small to access without substantial zooming, the the resulting need to constantly scroll, to make it particularily functional. Also, many of the controls are difficult or impossible to trigger.

I've been quite successful, though, when I connect a mouse and keyboard to my tablet. The UI elements end up quite small, but are still functional. On a somewhat larger tablet the UI will render better. I have an app for Windows that provides a virtual trackpad with both left and right "buttons" which I've found quite effective. To use an iPad to remote control a Windows host would likely require a similar app, unless Parallels Access provices the function, since Apple doesn't support mice on iOS devices.

You need to keep in mind that such remote access is merely running the software on the remote host machine. Files will reside on that host and not on the controlling tablet. To use the host's Word, for example, you would first need to move the file from your tablet to the host, then open it there and edit. Once the edits are saved you need to move the file back to the tablet if it is needed on the tablet.

4. wspi

wspi Pen Pal - Newbie

Dwig.
    Hope you're doing well.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences. It is particularly helpful and most appreciated. I am currently using a Dell Venue 8 Pro for my work away from the desk...not remote access though as it is fully standalone...grab and go per se.

Just as an FYI...I do not have an iOS tablet...yet...otherwise I'd try it out myself. Thus my query to this knowledgeable forum and I appreciate all the views!

I believe my originally stated use case is still valid...trying to convince myself...but recognizing that an iPad doesn't truly replace a Windows 10 device. I see the that the Galaxy Book 10.6 will be available soon too...however, the iOS (9.7" range form factor) is more attractive to me. I will go to a box store to compare...

Looks like it's boiling down to form vs function and the compromises between them...

Thanks again for your insights.

5. grawhill

grawhill Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for sharing your experience.
    I have been in the Windows-based tablet since 2005...but I ran across this gem today. Would give an iPad Pro (v2, when available) a go if this was doable...likely more portable, long battery life, etc. i agree this point

6. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you taken a look at http://www.neorouter.com/ it may do what you want to do. I use it all the time to manage and maintain different peoples systems remotely. The machine owners use it to access their work machines from remote locations and none of them have had any complaints. It's extremely reliable and easy to use. If you don't need to have too many machines on your network the free version should be all you need.