Evidence of Surface Mini/Phone From Build?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

huh, no wonder. Freaking MS are their own worst enemy. This is their netbook crap all over again. Hamstringing hardware to "fit" their business model(s) is a complete failure to innovate.

"new Windows 10 hardware with displays smaller than 8 inches will not ship with the classic desktop environment and cannot run legacy apps"

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mo...the-windows-desktop-on-7-inch-tablets-1282371

edit: News flash. There's no such thing as a "legacy app"

2. XJ12

3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Marty likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's the 2014 cancelled Lumia McLaren...

My hope these "leaks" are just setting the stage for a new device in 2017 and stave off the usual - Apple had it first coming next year as well...

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The thing with the 7" / 8" cutoff is that it's not really set in stone, so far as I can tell. Previous to Windows 10, you needed to get Windows Hardware Certification. With Windows 10, they've made that optional. So it kind of looks to me like there is nothing stopping an OEM from doing whatever they want this time around.

But really, W10M is currently not at all an option for a pen-based device. Who knows if that will change by 2017.

As it is currently though based on Microsoft's guidelines (while other OEMs might not follow those, I'd think Microsoft would), a x86 phone would still have to be running W10M. W10M also means there is no real desktop environment. There's a pseudo-desktop lookalike in Continuum, but it's more restricted than Windows RT - no windowing, no snapping, etc. And adding all of those desktop APIs (whether just for Continuum, or for constant use) require a lot more storage and a lot more RAM.

And yet I think the only bullet Microsoft has left in making Windows on a phone relevant is a true PC experience. Whether that means running 'full' Windows on the phone (seems doubtful to me, because there are some phone-only features that are important), or implementing a true desktop in Continuum / bringing in more of the pen features etc is an unknown, but with a year to implement whichever path they decide on, you'd have to hope they can manage to pull it off.

As for the suggestion of an Android phone with Microsoft services, I would tend to think that's out of the question. Not because it wouldn't be a good device, but because the more they push Android as a full experience, the less relevance Windows will have on the desktop. I mean, it's no secret that with Android implementing a windowed environment and the success of Chrome OS in certain markets that Google is coming after Microsoft on all fronts. It's one thing to provide your services for your potential users on another platform, but I think it's another thing entirely to actively adopt that platform for your own devices. Who knows though.

6. XJ12

I've got an idea. Take apart an Intel compute stick, a WWAN dongle, and 3d print a case for the parts.

$160, intel stick
    $40, WWAN dongle with sim card support
    $100, win10 pro
    $100, donor machine for battery, screen, power supply, and display driver

$400 without digitizer, unless donor has one. But drivers would be hard to come by without writing one.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Compute Sticks actually use fans too though, so you'd have to come up with a heatsink solution. :D

8. XJ12

Got me thinking though with dual processor. Use phone conventionally and plug in stick to run full OS when needed. Continuum in reverse.

9. XJ12

10. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

This is unusable, 16GB drive space and 1GB ram and a 1024X600 screen?

Bleh baytrail tablets were better than that.

Realistically the 8 inch HP 608 with 4GB ram and 128 GB drive and 2048X1536 screen was so so close to being an awesome beast of an 8 inch Tablet. I had two of them and returned each one due to Touch screen and Wifi issues caused by shoddy firmware and drivers. Such a shame that tablet was really close to being awesome but poor QA made it un keepable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.