Evernote Vs Onenote

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Mrono, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't really used either of them, I was wondering what you guys thought was best.

Device compatability? (android, etc)
    handwriting recognition
    search

2. paxtani

paxtani Pen Pal - Newbie

Onenote (2010) is much more powerful than evernote. Not sure about android compatibility.

3. sas11

sas11 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you actually used Evernote, or is that hearsay ?

My evernote notebooks are automatially synced between the ep121, ye olde tx2, the home server, kohjinsha sc3, macbook, ipad and iphone. don't have an android tablet, but it also would be supported.

And Evernote costs nada, zilch, nix, nanimo nai. Can't beat the price/performance ratio :cool:

4. BikeAR

BikeAR Pen Pal - Newbie

As a civil engineer, active dad and hobbiest, I use a combination of both. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Evernote is online and is multi-platform. It syncs with my rooted B&N Nookcolor (android), iPhone, EP121 and office workstation. I can refer to notes and take new notes on any of these devices! I really like Evernote's simplicity.

OneNote has SIGNIFICANTLY better inking and more functionality, allowing me to insert office documents, slideshows, etc. and make notes on them directly. OneNote 2007, the version I own, does not work with iOS or Android (yes I have tried several apps).

For uncomplicated notes, I use Evernote directly. For more complicated, longer sessions, I use OneNote and then use Evernote's ability to import these notes.

This system works best for me.

5. sas11

sas11 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just noticed there was a major new Evernote version (v3) introduced for android yesterday.

And they are also on windows mobile, blackberry, palm pre and sony ericsson.

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

If you want to live your life in one or the other, go with OneNote. It is designed to replace a shelf of topic specific, internally tabbed binders. If you want something more casual, go with EverNote. It's more like a stack of notebooks.

Since my electronic files are overwhelmingly Office or PDF documents using their internal comment software, I use EverNote for meeting minutes and other ad hoc information.

7. oztabletpc

oztabletpc Tablet PC Since 2003

I have tried a number of times to move to Evernote for its multi-platform support, but as noted above the inking is nowhere near as good. Evernote (please correct me if this has changed) does not allow you to write (ink) over text notes. I find that I combine text and ink all of the time in OneNote.

Also, ink notes in Evernote are just ink. There does not seem to be any conversion or searching functionality.

I do love the mobile integration with Evernote though. I love that evernote allows me to view my ink notes on iPhone, Android etc. Synch is easy. I wish we had this for OneNote. The OneNote mobile (iPhone and Win Phone 7) and web apps do not support ink at all which is very stupid as far as I'm concerned!

8. kimbosliced

kimbosliced Pen Pal - Newbie

I've used both. For purposes in graduate school, I'm in med school myself, OneNote is a must have and is very functional in editing word, ppts, and pdfs in one "notebook". I can't go back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.