Evernote in Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by craigt, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I'm going to wipe my disk for Win 7 shortly, I might as well give Ubuntu 9.04 a try on my Lenovo X61 tablet. I've learned to live mostly online and with open source software, even for productivity, but the two things that have always worried me about moving over whole hog have been tablet functionality and Evernote.

I've tried out a Live USB of 9.04 and things seem to work quite well tablet-wise. Is anyone running Evernote in WINE? It's not worth much to me if it's only text, and from what I've seen WINE isn't so good with pen input. If it's no good I can always just install Xournal and set up a script to automatically email all my new notes in PDF to my Evernote account, but being on the free account means I don't have much space each month. I'd rather have ink notes which are smaller. I'd also prefer to have access to my notes offline, but I suppose I could do something cool with Dropbox to make that happen.

2. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

Update: I installed Evernote under Wine in the 64-bit version of Jaunty, and the pen works fine, as do syncing and searching. Not all the icons show up as they should, but functionally it's good.

3. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Scribbler - Standard Member

great! thanks the info
    I'm running ubuntu on my desktop but I have never had any need for programs like this
    but once I get my tablet and to university I'm sure I will
    so umm..
    is evernote kind of like onenote for windows?
    how does it compare to onenote?
    I was planning on using windows mainly because of programs like onenote and because it probably has better tablet functionality, but maybe I won't have to.
    how is everything working for you?
    any significant down sides?

4. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Scribbler - Standard Member

I guess I could have just looked that up on wikipedia
    "Evernote is a competitor of Microsoft OneNote on Windows"
    yeah..
    but how does it compare?

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

it's not really comparable to OneNote, because you can't mix both ink and text, so it's useless for me.
    It's an application which is optimized for being used on several devices and keep all of them synchronized.

6. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually moved from OneNote to Evernote in order to use it on both my Vista (now Ubuntu) tablet PC and my Mac desktop. Frank is right that you can't mix ink and text, but it really is comparable for just about everything else. It allows for text searching inside images, you can add notes from any device including phones by emailing them to your account, and though there isn't the same type of folder structure as in OneNote there are tags. I've learned how to organize just as well with those as I did in OneNote. It really is amazingly versatile.

As an academic I use Evernote for meeting notes and my own sketches for research, and Dropbox for papers in PDF format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.