Evernote adds handwriting on Android - is this time to migrate from OneNote?

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by cleft, Mar 14, 2014.

1. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

It maybe more of personal preferences but after reading a thread by ecoeco and this, I'm even more intrigued to move to Evernote.

Evernote Blog | Remember everything.

[video=youtube;IHDE0QG7Sx8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHDE0QG7Sx8[/video]

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/tablet-pc-life/61420-what-i-use-early-2014-a.html

In my case, I used to use OneNote exclusively for writing maths in my undergrad. The current situation is however considerably different. As I am doing a research degree in a computational field, Linux and typing become the top priority. Hand writing is now secondary even though it's essential for jotting down equations, flow charts etc. Having access to keyboard is also much more productive even for note taking.

My desk is pretty much the same as what Bronsky has in another thread, except that the laptop and the tablet run on different system. Ideally the small tab would run a client of the same note taking software on the main pc, and has constant syncing between the two (or use the tab/phone as an ordinary drawing tablet - exclusively for Linux - Android duo though). Hence there will be no need to flip/rotate the laptop screen for jotting down quick note, disrupting productivity flow.
    However any attempts to use OneNote on Linux just don't cut it. Using virtual machine occupies too much disk space (I'm using a 80GB SSD), resource hungry and is "detached" from the main work space, while running through WINE has serious compatibility issues (no cloud syncing, can't render existing hand-written pages and doesn't have tablet driver afaik). Hopefully Evernote could be the answer.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

First, my condolences on your Spartan desktop.;) I use the M80TA exactly as you suggest. I do my writing on the notebook. I tend to read cases, cut and paste language into One Note, take handwritten notes, highlight and annotate all on the tablet. I sync it with OneNote on the notebook and cut and paste into my documents. It is a very efficient way to produce legal documents. I would assume the same is true for most technical documents.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That video has me a bit tempted to trade my current phone(LG G2) for a Note 3. The G2 is pretty much the max I would go in terms of size, and I found the Note 2 and 3 were a bit to large, but then a Wacom pen in my pocket is really tempting, as it is getting hard to find the right tablet. ^%#K. Then again there is always the Note 8, & 10.1, but then that not in my pocket. I wonder if Google will at some point update Keep with pen support(or at the very least searchable notes), or if they will bring a pen app out.

siddhartth likes this.
  4. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

The funny thing is that EverNote actually supported handwriting on Android WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY back in 2011 via a customized version of Evernote on the HTC Flyer.

It wasn't enough to get me to switch to EverNote full time, and Android for me is just to flaky.

5. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Really?! I wish I would have known it by then. Agree that I would go OneNote all the way if I could but good grief, it's ashamed that it can't run properly on Linux.

6. sonus911

Yes, HTC interestingly had the most full featured pen enabled software set that even gives devices today a run for the money.
    -inking on eBooks? CHECK
    -inking on PDFs? CHECK
    -inking in a syncable note application? CHECK
    -OS wide clipping feature enabled straight from the stylus? CHECK
    -Great implementation of inking palettes in all the above? CHECK

I think their demise was pricing. Few people saw the value of a $500 8" tablet running Honeycomb. It did make it to ICS (or whatever the name of v3 was) but unfortunately like most Android devices I've owned it got mildly buggy after its limited life of updates.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  7. Waru

Waru 「ホログラム&#

If only Evernote added better support for handwriting on the Windows variation, I wouldn't have to move to OneNote. My library of notes is currently on Evernote; my primary note-taking program. :rolleyes:

I'm really trying to not move to OneNote. It's not because I don't like OneNote, it's because I'm more comfortable with Evernote and have always used it for my notes. I may have to move if Evernote doesn't step up its game with Windows since I recently got my AVTN8 which has a digitizer.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried, what I thought was the updated version on my ThinkPad tablet, but I get the feeling that n-trig isn't really supported, or maybe I didn't get the update, like I thought I did?

9. sonus911

Out of curiosity, why did you opt for a Windows tab if your note system did not involve OneNote? As much as I live my powerful Windows tabs, an arm based long life ink machine like a Galaxy Note 10 is very attractive.

10. ecoeco

ecoeco Pen Pal - Newbie

The Evernote / OneNote dilemma gets harder every day, particularly with today's OneNote announcements (web clipper, email service, mac client software).

The one area where OneNote beats evernote for me is its giant canvas. I like clipping notes out of PDF pages and then being able to arrange them all on a summary page with hand written annotations etc.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

sonus911 likes this.