Eve V? Shipping, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Simo_the_Wolf, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Simo_the_Wolf

Simo_the_Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

I was looking for a thread about the EVE V (eve-tech.com) in order to know if somebody has this nice tablet, and to look for impressions.

While they were basically not shipping from July 2018 (if I understood correctly), apparently they begun new shipments two weeks ago; I was wondering if anyone from the forum have been waiting for the machine, and it was shipped in these days.

It seems to be a nice machine, also with its a bit older specs, so I was wondering if it is now reliable to buy or not...

unfortunately the only news source I have is the official weekly update I looked a bit on youtube or reddit but I could not find other evidences... https://eve.community/t/weekly-update-01-02/16689

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There was some discussion and speculation back when Eve was announced. The thread is buried over here...

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/eve-v-discussion-thread.72029/

If I recall, the consensus was that it was an inspiring project, but that their decision to go with N-Trig as the pen system was disappointing, especially after a bunch of us here chimed in on their survey forums when they were polling to see what tech they should use. Evidently, the cost of Wacom and the technical barriers were not considered worthwhile to a majority of their respondents. -Which is cool, but it lost steam and interest around here after that. Some of us can be a bit elitist and picky when it comes to stylus tech. (I'm certainly guilty of that.)

But if you do end up getting one, please do come back and tell us what you think. I'm sure many would be interested in knowing!

WillAdams and nnthemperor like this.
  3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They were also dismissive of daylight viewability.

Why is it that I still can't find a replacement for my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121?

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

A sad end to what started with much fanfare. Sad for the people who gave their money for a product and didn't get it. Thankfully the rest of us have enough "Surface killers" to choose from, including some with daylight-viewable displays.

6. WillAdams

Names/links?

7. Simo_the_Wolf

Simo_the_Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here with st5112 :-D
    How you find the Galaxy book 12?

8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

9. WillAdams

It's as good as it's likely to get.

It was almost perfect until Fall Creator's Update --- I've had to roll back to 1703 twice now.

Daylight viewability is only so-so --- have to turn on adaptive brightness and set brightness to maximum, and it's sort of viewable in sunlight, but only barely.

Thanks for the links --- I'll have to keep the Xslate R12 in mind --- but it's not a transflective display? Just really bright LCD?

10. LZbros

LZbros Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry about bumping the thread out of the blue but after stumbling on this thread, I feel the urge to share my experience out.

I was one of the late backers under 'Limited bird i5' perk.

Unfortunately, I wasn't there when they decided to go with N-trig tech. (what wasted potential) But I had high hopes on the surface pen 5 which microsoft claimed to have tilt function. That didn't matter to me because I assumed they would have gotten better at the tech and solved the jitter issue by then.

After waiting for 2 years, i finally got mine on 2018. The portability was great and especially the bluetooth LED keyboard, I could detach it away from the tablet and still use it at the side like a Cintiq+keyboard! Battery life is just standard 4-5 hours if you paint using only photoshop with wifi turned off and brightness at 50%.

Inking on it didn't turn out as great as I thought it'll be. It's fine when you paint or do quick sketch but like many other artists I see complaining regarding N-trig are mostly pen cursor jumps and jitter issues.

The V pen was quite fragile and it broke after accidentally dropping it a few times. I got the surface pen soon after.

Furthermore after a year of use, the keyboard and thumbprint scanner stopped working for unknown reasons.

I'm still using the V for painting works, inking is a struggle but I'll just have to live with it sadly.

To summarize it, I cannot recommend it for any artist if they prefer slow & precise inking.

Marty and ATIVQ like this.