Eve 2-in-1 Idea Proposal and Discussion Thread. (For Surface Air and VAIO Z Canvas clone)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Change of plans. Before we even got the chance to get together what we were going to post on the official Eve Community forum, someone today already brought up the idea of a Surface Air. So to deviate from our original plans of discussing here and then posting there, let's go ahead now and comment there! Here is the link to the thread where the conversation is already taking off:

>> https://eve.community/t/presenting-...ch-crowd-designed-tablet-the-eve-v-air/6276/1 <<

CC: @Marty @RT545 @michaelws @FZelle @thierryb

If we also want to discuss here how our ideas are coming along there, let's use this thread as a common place of discussion.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    jbaks likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Here is what I posted on the Eve Community forum. If you could, please join, upvote, and support the post there (https://eve.community/t/presenting-...ch-crowd-designed-tablet-the-eve-v-air/6276/1) so we can get our Surface Air:

Eve V Air Specs:

CPU Intel 7th Gen Core m3/i5/i7
    RAM 8 GB/16 GB LPDDR3
    STORAGE 128/256/512 GB
    CONNECTIVITY AC (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz)
    2 x 2 MU-MIMO
    Bluetooth 4.2
    Wireless display Wi-Di
    PORTS 1 x Thunderbolt 3 USB-C
    1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 USB-C
    1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 USB-A
    1 x 3.5mm audio
    1 x Micro SDXC reader
    Display 9.7 inch IGZO LCD
    2048 x 1536 resolution
    1000:1 contrast ratio, 500 nits brightness
    TOUCH PANEL Gorilla Glass with Anti-Fingerprint and Anti-Reflective coating
    Metal Mesh technology
    BATTERY 40 Wh (10-hour real-world battery life)
    SENSORS Fingerprint, Hall, Gravity, Light, Gyroscope, GPS
    AUDIO Quad speakers, 1 W each
    Dedicated Headphone Jack Audio Amplifier by TI
    2 Noise Cancelling Microphones
    CAMERAS 2 MP front and 5 MP back
    STYLUS N-trig, Surface compatible, 1024 pressure levels, 2 buttons
    KEYBOARD Pogo-Pin and Wireless Keyboard with Backlight and Latest Glass ClickPad by Synaptics
    Bluetooth 4.2, connects up to 3 devices
    15-hour continuous typing battery life
    OS Windows 10
    Weight and Size 9.45 x 6.67 x 0.36 inches (240 x 169.5 x 9.25 mm), 1.4 pounds (635 g)

My dream 10-inch tablet announcement:

[​IMG]

For the future of tablet computing, a 10-inch form factor is the ideal for both content consumption and doing real work. Oftentimes, holding a hefty, tall and wide, nearly 2-pound, 12-inch tablet to work on code in bed or to play light video games on the run is cumbersome and awkward. Switching back and forth between devices is just not the solution you would like. Why should you have to settle for less in 10 inches? Meet the Eve V Air.

The Eve V Air takes the best of performance and functionality you know and love from its older brother, the Eve V, and condenses it into a svelte 1.4-pound 10-inch form factor. The Eve V Air is light enough to hold just one-handed. Yet it is powerful enough to also speed through your difficult daily grind thanks to the latest Kaby Lake Intel Core Y-class processor (up to Core i7-7Y75, starting at Core m3-7Y30) under the hood. The best part? No whirling fans!

For road warriors and power users, running many programs all at once and being able to have all of them installed is especially important. For both heavy multitasking and memory hog programs, the Eve V Air comes with 8 GB of LPDDR3 RAM standard and up to 16 GB if you require it. SSD storage is fast and instant and roomy and plentiful, with an Intel 600p Series M.2 PCIe starting at 128 GB and up to 512 GB should you need it.

The Eve V took the Internet by storm with its sheer versatility, and the Eve V Air is no exception. Equipped with both a full-size USB-A port and a full Thunderbolt 3-enabled USB-C port, your only limit is the accessories at your disposal–from a retro USB gamepad to the latest eGPU box! There is also an additional USB-C port, a Micro SDXC card slot, a pogo-pin connector for a wireless keyboard, and a headphone jack. Take that, 9.7-inch try-hards!

A fast, stable network connection at home and on the go is a must for the daily commuter and the midnight movie watcher. For the best wireless connectivity, the Eve V Air features the latest dual-band Wi-Fi card from Intel (Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265). With it comes support for both Wireless-AC (802.11AC) and Bluetooth 4.2 for fast downloads and pause-free streaming. For moments when Wi-Fi simply isn't within reach, there is also optional support for LTE and GPS in the special cellular version of the Eve V Air.

You want the best, pixel-perfect experience and the Eve V Air has you covered. There is a razor sharp IGZO 9.7-inch 2048x1536 resolution display, protected by scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass 3 and applied with an anti-reflective coating in the factory, for a detailed, rock solid, crystal clear viewing experience. Support for the latest generation N-trig 1024-pressure level styluses is also included, making this a perfect drawing solution for digital designers.

At this small and slender 10-inch size, battery life can often be compromised and disappointing. Not so with the Eve V Air. By careful component selection and placement, the Eve engineering team has successfully fitted a 40Wh battery into the internal casing. You thought you couldn't have iPad Air battery life in a 10-inch Windows tablet? Think again! There is up to 10 hours of real-world battery life so you never have to hunt for power outlets mid-day again!

The Eve V Air provides the ideal out-of-box experience so you can configure to your heart's content. The BIOS settings are completely open and modifiable. For instance, you can drop the power draw of your processor for even longer lasting battery life or push it to the max to satisfy your inner speed demon. In addition, you can load Windows 10, Steam OS, Linux or any other operating system that you would like, provided there are the drivers for it. The Eve V Air is about pushing boundaries and bringing choice to all.

The Eve V revolutionized the tablet industry as the world's first crowd-designed computer. Following in the footsteps of its illustrious predecessor, the Eve V Air is the world's first crowd-designed 10-inch tablet. A painstaking incremental design process–thanks to the combined efforts of Eve's avid community of online users and its world-class engineering team–has culminated in the very best 10-inch tablet which money can buy.

Discover the all-new power and functionality in 10 inches. This is the Eve V Air.

Reference:
    Here is Intel's already spec'ed out and fully tested 9.7-inch tablet reference design that Eve could use as a starting point for designing the Eve V Air.
    https://liliputing.com/2016/04/this-is-intels-2-in-1-tablet-reference-design-for-china.html

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    FZelle likes this.
  3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

Same old arguments against a device like this, " Oh but you can't do professional work on this size".
    I'm a software developer for 30 years and have been using notebooks for the last 15.
    I need it because I'm often in my homeoffice or travel to customers and subsidiaries.
    Working on it's keyboard and screen happens very very seldom.
    When I'm doing real work, it is docked to my monitor, keyboard and stuff, that is why I really like the mix plus and it's usb type c.
    This with 8GB ram ( or more ) would be enough for my whole work.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.