Ergonomics of Using Photoshop with Stylus & Keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FlexiPack, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlexiPack

FlexiPack Pen Pal - Newbie

I've used a Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch (tradition style of Pen & Tablet) alongside my aging Laptop & Desktop for some years. I've been eyeing up a 2-in-1 with pressure sensitive stylus and keyboard cover (i.e surface pro) for a while but been holding off until the right one for me comes along. Anyway, one thing I've been curious about is how easy/difficult it is to use keyboard shortcuts and the Stylus simultaneously. With my laptop/desktop I have the tablet to one side but I can't see how it would work well on a 2-in-1. To use the keyboard you would need to have the 2-in-1 in a traditional laptop configuration, with the keyboard attached (usually by magnetic attachment of some sort) in front of the screen. However this would mean leaning forward, over the keyboard to use the stylus on the screen which doesn't seem at all comfortable. As far as I'm aware the keyboard covers (for surface pro, HP Elite X2, Samsung Galaxy TabPro S, etc) don't work when not attached directly and so I can't see of another way to use the keyboard and stylus at the same time (short of using a 3rd party bluetooth/USB keyboard).

So how do you use yours with Photoshop? Is it sans keyboard shortcuts?

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I prefer pure tablets over 2-in-1s precisely because the convertible's keyboard is pretty useless in tablet mode. You can always carry around a compact bluetooth keyboard or you can install an on-screen shortcut utility like Tablet Pro.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For my particular artflow, the only keyboard shortcuts I find myself really needing for "Shift" and "[ & ]" (increase/decrease brush size)....aside from those I find the UI quite sufficient for any other task needed. The addition of Multitouch for zooming, panning, and rotating, certainly helped reduce keyboard reliance as well. I'm using the Cintiq Companion 2 most of the time nowadays, but for life drawing/sketch sessions when I use my baytrail tablets, the Asus Note 8 and Thinkpad Tablet 10, I have the Axiotron Studio Pen which has 2 side switches...I set on both tablets to increase/decrease brush size with the 2 side buttons, and any "Shift" need I just pop up the TIP/Keyboard and click real fast.

Flexipack -Approximately how many keyboard shortcuts do you use? Have you tried adapting to just navigating the UI?

An aside from a Bluetooth keyboard there are a few other options. These are meant more for gaming instead of art, but Razer, Logitech, etc creating gaming keypads with tons of programmable buttons.

This one is the Razer Nostromo's.....arguably the most popular one.

razer-nostromo-gallery-1.png

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Toolbar creator + radial menu on a touch device and who cares about a keyboard anymore... :D