Equilibrium Watch - Time In Context

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Steve S, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

As I surf the Internet, I sometimes find products that I think might appeal to readers of these forums, and I will occasionally post about them. There is a discussion raging in the Microsoft forum about pen inking feel that led one poster to point out that sometimes, people don't know what they want until they see it; so-called "uncalled-for innovation:"

<<...you need a little bit of uncalled-for innovation to truly make a product shine...>>

That caused me to think about a brand of wristwatch that I have been wearing for years:

...Speaking about "uncalled-for innovation," watch the video at the link below:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yes-equilibrium-the-most-intelligent-wrist-watch#/

When I first encountered Yes watches I wasn't sure what the fuss was, but I was also intrigued, so I bought their cheapest model. It didn't take me long to understand. I've been wearing Yes watches for years now, and I frankly can't imagine using any other kind of wristwatch.

And all because someone innovated without anyone else asking him to...

[​IMG]

(Truth in advertising: I am not associated with YesWatch, but I do use and really like their products. Also, a caution; it's a thick watch, similar to a Rollex, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea. The Indiegogo campaign offers their newest watch at about half price (in June, 2017) and their existing watches periodically go on sale at their website, www.yeswatch.com )

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Steve S

<<...so what exactly are the "can't imagine without" features in your experience?..>>

...This is difficult to describe, so I'm just going to summarize. The watch gives you a complete view of the next 24 hours; when the sky will start to light up, when the sun will appear on the horizon (Will it be in my eyes as I drive? Sadly, yes!), when the Sun reaches its zenith, when it is going to set (Will it be in my eyes as I drive? Sadly, yes!), when darkness will fall, when the Moon will rise, reach zenith and set... And interestingly, when you are aware of these things, you start working through your day a little differently. I may commute at different times or look at the night sky when I otherwise might not have. It seems trivial, but it isn't. That's all I can say.

<<...out of my personal curiosity, how accurate are the daylight (and moonlight?) yellow/red inner rings...>>

...Very accurate, based on my casual observations. The watch includes an extensive ephemeris data base and will display the proper positions of the Sun and Moon as seen from any longitude or latitude (to the nearest degree; not sure about the extreme polar regions, though). The hour hand accurately portrays the Sun's position as the Sun approaches the horizon.

<<...These arcs are calculated based on planetary geometry correct?..>>

...Yes.

kvoram likes this.
  3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting. As an outdoorsy type, having that info available at a glance seems great.
    This watch isn't for me, due to the design, price and thickness, but these infos could be easily integrated into a watchface for any smartwatch.

While I am intrigued by smartwatches in general, I haven't found something yet that I would want to wear all the time. Still have the Motorola MotoACTV and the original Pebble, but wear those only when I need them for some specific functionality.

4. Steve S

<<...This watch isn't for me, due to the design, price and thickness...>>

...I can certainly understand the issue regarding cost, and design is a matter of taste. Interestingly, although I was at first concerned about the thickness, it turned out to be a non-issue for me. I'm just used to it, and I haven't had any accidents caused by the height of the case. Go figure...

5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Of course wristwatches are a highly subjective matter. When it comes to thickness, I simply find thick watches somewhat annoying when wearing clothes with long sleeves, like catching on the sleeves or feeling somewhat tight under the sleeve.
    Though I must say the most recent experience in that regard were with rather squarish watches, whereas a round desing helps a bit with my concerns.
    I like some "smarts" in a watch but I dont want something that tries to replace a smartphone with all bells and whistles and forces me to charge it all the time.
    One nice watch I recently saw and liked, was the Garmin Fenix Chronos. Love the design, but also rather thick and really expensive for a smart(-ish) watch at over 1000 bucks.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/fenix/

6. Steve S

The Yes Watch Equilibrium is in the final stages of beta testing and is almost ready for production:

The watch with a yellow 24-hour outer bezel. The bezel is half-silver and half-yellow to complement the moon ring on the watch face. The multiple colors on the left side are a reflection from the surroundings:
    [​IMG]

The watch with the black and white 12-hour AM / PM bezel. Several other bezels are also available (Roman numerals, symbols...):
    [​IMG]

The watch incorporates self-luminous hour markers on the dial. They are luminous capsules that look like this in the dark (two colors for AM / PM):
    [​IMG]

Introductory pricing is still available.

7. Steve S