Epic Pen - Nice little software to draw anywhere

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Apr 22, 2015.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi all,

Maybe Epic Pen has been discussed here before but simple searches didn't turn up anything. Just saw this go by on Reddit and I thought I'd post it here as it's a pretty cool little freeware.

Epic Pen allows you to draw anywhere, change pen size/color, erase inkings, and save screenshots. Most importantly, in contrast to other similar "draw anywhere" programs, Epic Pen doesn't draw on a screenshot but draws on the actual window so that you can have the markings on the screen and still interact with the programs under them. You can even set it to save the markings when you close it.

Many here have asked for a software to draw, for example, on pictures or when presenting to clients. Epic Pen seems to go a long way toward finally providing a viable solution to this. (I only tested it on my EP121 with Win 7 and Wacom and it works great!)

See here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/epicpen/

Have fun!

Druid, Kumabjorn, ATIVQ and 3 others like this.
  2. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for your heading up! It took me a while looking for the exact tool to present to my study group.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Great catch. If I'm not mistaken, Lenovo has announced this capability will be available in all their Wacom-based products within the next month or so. It was the main reason I rushed out to get my Think Pad Yoga! This sounds like it may work better, however, as well as not being restricted to one brand of laptop.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is a really excellent little widget.

It or something like it should have come standard on every TPC since the beginning.

What I've done instead is keep a Photoshop document running in the background for use as a scratchpad for phone numbers and napkin calculations and such.

5. lblb

@thatcomicsguy

I looked for a while for a simple scratchpad and couldn't find one that really worked. At first I tried using Journal or OneNote in the background but that seemed a bit excessive for what I needed. So I ended up creating one in AHK (who would've thought...). I pretty much use it every day for quick notes (it's really just a scratchpad and won't save the markings if you exit the script) and use the tray icon to quickly show/hide it. It can be resized and the position is saved. If you look into the .ini file, you can customize quite a bit of stuff. Anyway, see attached if you're curious about inking with AHK!

Attached Files:

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice tool. Thank you.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

+1
    Simple, useful and does exactly what it promises. Excellent find lblb.

Balbutio ergo sum

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Damn! You're doing things with AHK that I didn't even think were possible!

Cool scratchpad, lblb!

9. lblb

Epic pen has been updated. Now works even better and there is an undo button and support for hotkeys. Pretty cool little widget!

See: http://www.epic-pen.com/

cleft and Kumabjorn like this.