EP121 + WIN8 : Game opinions

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by TemplarGFX, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would post my experiences running games on the EP121 with Windows 8. Im not going to review the games, you can look em up for that, this is more of a review of what they are like on the EP121.

Warcraft 3
    Unfortunately no where near as good as I hoped :( Runs OK at native resolution, but cant handle the particles, so make sure to set spell effects to minimum, I lowered the res to 800x600 and that had quite a boost to performance.
    Touch control is difficult. OK if you are playing the campaign (which is easy nowadays) but other games like DOTA are too difficult without the pen.
    Pen play is quite good, once you get used to using the right click on your pen.

Cut The Rope
    Runs fastastic. Plays fantastic. Touch is awesome. Unfortunately the free version has way too few missions, and its not a game I would pay money for.

Armed!
    runs OK. you have to set it to minimum graphics mode to get a decent frame rate. Touch controls are OK, this is more of the fault of the game itself rather than the EP121.

Reckless Racing
    Absolutely Fantastic! Runs like a dream, just set Shadows to 2 from the left. Touch controls are great, but using an external keyboard or controller makes it so much more fun.

Radiant Defense
    Absolutely Fantastic! Runs like a dream again. Touch controls work fantasticly aswell.

Ilomilo
    Great! Runs at a low resolution which is a shame, but the game itself is great and very pretty. Touch controls are OK, more than managable but 2 finger actions are a little tricky

Soulcraft
    Great for showing off. Runs like a dream at full resolution, looks brilliant. Touch controls again work great, but being a stick game, holding the EP121 for extended periods is a little painful

Jetpack Joyride
    Runs awesome. Simple quick game thats suprisingly fun. looks really good on the EP121 screen. it only have 1 touch control and that works great.

Robotek
    Runs brilliantly. Touch controls work great!

Skills of the Shogun
    Again runs briliantly. Looks fantastic and touch controls work like a dream. Awesome strategy game

Guns 4 hire
    Awesome Awesome Awesome! Another great one to show off your EP121. Touch controls work awesome, and game runs really well considering the 3D detail at play

Pirates Love Daisies
    Runs great! Touch controls work well, but it can be hard to hit the right anchor because they are so small (cant imagine trying to play on a smaller screen)

FEAR
    Barely playable. The right resolution and graphics settings can give you a playable game, but you miss out on all the cool graphics. no touch controls here at all. external keyboard and mouse or gamepad.

Daggerfall (DosBox)
    Runs great! graphics are obviously a little old-school, but it still looks good IMO even today. touch does not work with dosbox at all. the onscreen keyboard is too big to use. I use an external keyboard (see below)

Freespace 2 Open
    Runs brilliantly!! Fantastic graphics that run smooth as silk. you can use touch to control the menus and other onscreen functions, but ship control really needs a joystick, or at the very least a keyboard.

Hegemonia
    Runs brilliantly! again fantastic graphics that run smooth as silk! can use touch control for alot of functions, but a keyboard is needed to activate and use other core functions. Pen works well in this game for its right clicking

Colin McRae Rally 3
    Runs quite well. fantastic looking graphics, and a decent frame rate with all the options on. Touch support in the menus only.

Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare
    Runs suprisingly well. You need to turn off Shadows and Specular mapping for any sort of decent frame rate. Touch works in the menus. Game control is keyboard/mouse only. No Joystick support, so you will either need a full setup, or a keyboard/mouse remapper to get a joystick working

Alien Vs Predator (the original)
    Runs so smooth its funny. no touch support. you will need a keyboard/mouse to play or a joystick. Game is awesome, although the graphics are quite dated. Still scary!

--------UPDATE--------

Steam - Don't Starve
    Brilliant game, that really shines on this tablet. Even my friends who have this on PC say playing on my EP121 is like playing the game for the first time properly. Works with completely with the pen, none of the keyboard commands are required to play which is just awesome. BUY THIS you wont regret it!

Steam - Faster Than Light
    Runs great also, only downside is that the PEN will not work when using the game in any of its full screen modes. By design or coincidence it just happens to fit perfectly on screen as it runs at 1280x768. having a keyboard really helps

Heroes of Might and Magic V
    I was suprised how great this game runs on the tablet, fully playable with the pen. Again this is a game that you can do almost all things with just left and right click, making it a fantastic edition to the EP121 game list.

RUSE
    Barely playable unfortunately, while the game runs, framerate sits around the 10fps mark, and everything looks incredibly blurred. shame

-----Update-----

Steam : Leviathan: Warships
    is playable on lowest setting. you can alot with just the pen, unfortunately using your finger is not precise enough. keyboard is required for advanced features

Steam : Mount & Blade : Warband
    Playable on lowest setting. Things get pretty slide-showy when you get into the larger battles though. keyboard DEFINATELY required

Steam : Zen Bound 2
    Runs really nicely on medium. cannot use touch, it keeps recentering when you let go. pen works wonders though

Steam : Universe Sandbox
    Runs really well. Cant handle 3 or more galaxies colliding without serious slowdown

Steam : Gunpoint
    unfortunately runs entirely too slow

Steam : Surgeon Simulator 2013
    On lowest settings it is playable. requires a keyboard and mouse, no alternative with this game. Put the cover cloth on the floor instead of to the side to prevent super lag

Steam : I am Alive
    Not even worth it. while it runs, fps is around 5. looks REALLY pretty though lol

Steam : Legend of Grimlock
    Needs to be set to low, however runs nicely. Its a little low on the framerate but thanks to the gameplay it is not much of an option. Requires a keyboard although the pen/touch can be used for all mouse actions with ease

Steam : Xenonauts
    Runs brilliantly, no issues here. Requires a keyboard. Pen/touch works however I would HIGHLY recommend a pen with right click.

Thats it for now. As I find and try more games I will update this

I use this keyboard/mouse/gamepad combo with my EP121 and it works awesome in all the games
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/55711-ultimate-portable-keyboard.html

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Good starter list! I'm more of a desktop gamer myself, so I'll add: Civ IV, Torchlight I & II as very playable games on the EP121.

For Torchlight, I customize the pen flicks to call 1-8, so you can use hotkeyed skills, but simple touch only play works smoothly as well.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  3. TemplarGFX

Updated with a few more games. I love the EP121. Its gaming ability has far exceeded my expectations. People dont realise how many absolutely fantastic games there are that came out in the late 90's and early 2000's that will work on this machine without a problem!

4. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

Try using Lucid MVP Mobil - I was even able to get Skyrim running fairly well.

5. TemplarGFX

you were able to use Lucid MVP Mobil on an EP121?

Where did you get the download to install the mobile version? I can only find downloads for desktop PC's (which will not install on the EP121)

6. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Which graphics driver are you using? Certain games won't run at all on my EP-121.

7. TemplarGFX

I am using the 8.15.10.2827 Intel HD Graphics driver.

8. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info!

9. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

Is this free software?
    Where can I download it frpm?

10. mezmerrizer

mezmerrizer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm are you trolling us Templar? Skyrim on a Slate? Really?
    But if not please share your wisdom with us.
    What are your windows performance ratings?
    Why do you use the old driver? I cant even install it on Windows 8.
    And by Lucid MVP Mobil you mean a mobile version of Lucidlogix Virtu? Where can it be downloaded?
    I think everyone in this forum would be very happy to know what magic you did.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.