EP121 reviewed by TechRadar

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by species5618w, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Asus Eee Slate EP121 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Tablets

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A pretty objective review. What l still don't understand is the whole fuss about Win7 not being touch-optimized, to me it offers all the touch functionality l need. Nothing "cumbersome" here, l used the Origami experience touch setting to enlarge the buttons & scroll bars (not like l use the scroll bars anyway) The two finger scroll works perfect as well as the tap to enlarge feature.
    Honestly l like the touch functionality in Windows7. l also like the review.

3. Grimspoon

Grimspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

In my mind the negativity surrounding Win 7 as a touch OS is a similar situation as what happened with MS and the release of Vista.

A few people voice an opinion and it gets repeated ad infinitum by other people who may have never even had any experience with it.

This may not be the case here, but to me it seems like the trendy thing to do right now; bash Win 7 as a poor touch interface. Just like it was trendy a few years ago to bash MS and Vista.

In actuality there is nothing wrong with either.

4. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree, the Windows 7 not optimized for touch argument is lame. The other opinion that is getting tiresome is how giant the Eee Slate is...

"The Eee Slate is enormous compared with the iPad 2"

"It's heavy – for a tablet, at least. At 1.2kg, and twice the weight of the iPad 2, this is a machine you're going to want to rest on your desk rather than your arm for long periods."

I really enjoy reading reviews that always point out the massive size of the Eee Slate. Very entertaining. Since when does something that is only a fraction of an inch thicker than another product qualify it as being massively ginormous? Personally I think all these reviewers stating how they have to rest the EP121 on a desk because it is too heavy, probably just need to go do a few thousand pushups and pullups or something. Seriously most of my books are thicker and heavier than the Eee Slate and I don't need to set them down every 15 minutes to rest because I'm breaking into a sweat and cramping up from their massive size. In fact I am thoroughly enjoying holding the slate with one hand while sketching with the other, at length. Even my Wacom Intuos tablet (no screen, no computer, just a drawing surface) is only 1-2mm thinner and barely lighter than the Eee Slate. The EP121 is anything but massive.

What's even more interesting is when you compare Eee Slate reviews to MacBook Air reviews, a product that is for all intents and purposes identical in size, power and weight. The Eee Slate's dimensions and weight actually land right in-between the 11" and 13" MacBook Airs. But the Air reviews always talk about how tiny it is. Here's some quotes from Engadget's review:

"The 13.3-inch model measures just 12.8 inches by 8.94 inches, and weighs a meager 2.9 pounds. The minuscule 11.6-inch version, meanwhile, is just 11.8 inches by 7.56 inches, and weighs 2.3 pounds."

"We spent a lot of our time with the junior laptop, and we can tell you that even next to its big brother, it does feel amazingly small and light. "

The MacBook Air is hailed as being miniscule, meager weight and amazingly small and light, but the Eee Slate is massive, enormous and heavy. Hard to get any love from the tech review sites these days without an Apple logo stamped on your product. Any products well designed, well built and incredibly useful to many professionals and students are quickly blown off and labeled as 'niche market' tools with no useful application outside of their small target audience.

5. murfmiser

murfmiser Pen Pal - Newbie

I've heard of this two finger scrolling before, is it only offered by installing the oragami experience. I've got some applications that I'd love touch scrolling in, but it doesn't seem to work, namely notepad++ and eclipse.

Anyone know of any way to get two finger scrolling or touch scrolling enabled in these or similar applications?

6. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

great words man, i agree 100%.

7. krfighter

krfighter Scribbler - Standard Member

@TheOnlyKingArthur: Cannot agree more.

8. nnthemperor

Is touch & panning enabled in the Pen & Touch settings in control panel? You don`t need the origami experience for that. I also have single finger panning enabled.

9. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

Kind of funny how it starts off with the 4gb ram, and 32 gb drive... 2 different configs. Which one did he use? Still, even with the Ipad love he has, there was a fair amount of respect given to this. The biggest problem I see, is so many people want to compare the battery life to netbooks, ipads and androids. This is a computer. Full fledged computer. In a slate form. Not a lot of room to add bigger, better batteries without adding to the "enormous size" compared to the ipad. But just as someone earlier said, this is lighter than the small macthingy. And it will kick that macthingy's butt in performance, cooling and usefulness. Also he had a beef with the precision of the finger... maybe use the pen? All in all not a bad review from a Ipad groupie... But I would rather see reviews of this against other i5 books. Then compare weight, portability, speed and performance. I agree I would not want to carry this around all day on my arm, but I don't. But I do have the ability to carry it for long periods, and do things that other notebooks can't in mobile situations. And forget about netbooks. Most are not even real computers. Andriod can not do the things I need to in the real workplace. Ipads can't. Laptops can, but do not have near the portability. Pry this one from my cold, dead hands.

10. nnthemperor

Well said. What I think is, people should review a product based on its value or features or whatever else it hasto offer, rather than in comparison to another product. If you belief touch is sloppy, or Ui isn`t great, or it`s not handy,or not aesthetic,etc, write your reasons,don`t just give the "because it`s not like the Xoom or ipad or Galaxy tab non-reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.