EP121 reviewed by Globe and Mail

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by species5618w, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 299792458

299792458 Pen Pal - Newbie

[rant]The problem is that Steve Jobs has brainwashed everyone and taken away the general population's need to know anything in order to be "cool" in computing. Why do tablets always get clumped with the Ipad? I don't like to be told what I need or want! Somehow, dumb devices with laughable processors have become what people long for... because apparently, the only thing you can do with portable tech is watch videos and go on facebook and run "apps" created by 12 year olds that really belong in a web browser (which again Steve Jobs has brainwashed people into thinking we somehow need this market, and now Android et al have followed suit).

My portable tech needs require a device for running real applications on a platform with real power and multiple ways to interface with it. I want something I can take notes, draw, write with! I can use a pen, a keyboard/ mouse or the touchscreen. The real gem here is the marrying of the power and flexibility of an ultraportable laptop (not netbook) with an awesome active digitizer and fine screen/ build quality. That is something I have yet to read in any reviews. Battery life is underwhelming, but this is a good start for Asus in the tablet PC arena, no matter how this market is perceived by the ijournalists. [/rant]

2. CMMD-Z

CMMD-Z Pen Pal - Newbie

I totally agree with you. Although I wouldn't consider it 'brainwashing'. It's all business. As an artist I've longed for that mac tablet combo with a wacom pressure sensitive digitizer. (aka the Great White Buffalo, or in this case unicorn. :p)

And as for now they have to appeal to the general public to make that huge chunk of profit and make their shareholders happy. Hopefully if the EP121 catches on it'll show that there is a market for such a device and they'll come to their senses. A lot of people invest a lot of money into a company such as Apple so they have to be certain that they continue to make them happy. It's just the way it is. I'm not saying I'm some know-it-all but it's something I get. A lotta people don't seem to realize that and come up with ridiculous conspiracy theories.

3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Useless review. I use my Tablet PCs in the car all the time and surf tons of Flash sites using 4G. Laptops are too bulky and awkward, iPad too no Flash without a jailbreak.

How about note taking as a mainstream use? Geez Louise!

4. BradInOz

BradInOz IT Guru

I agree. Just my two cents worth coming up here, and let's put everything into perspective:

It's the largest, currently most powerful, portable tablet there is available on the market today.

It has several methods of input available to you: Touch, BlueTooth Keyboard, and Pen. That's more than an iPad has (and I have one and use it everyday).

It has a nice large 16:9 screen - this appeals to everybody.

It runs full Windows 7 - that is, nothing is watered down or slow, like what would be experienced on an underpowered NetBook.

It does much more than an iPad can do in performance or creativity - most serious Applications on Mac's have to be watered down before they will even work on the iPad (compare iMovie for the Mac with iMovie for the iPad, for example). "Pages" on the iPad can't even correctly format my Word documents right - and importing or transfering documents is a huge pain in the a...

On the iPad, it takes me about 20 seconds all up to get into settings to turn on the Wi-Fi, exit settings, then open up the web browser to surf the internet. On the Asus EP121, it takes about 29 seconds from being turned ON. On that note, unless you run a Memory cleaner App on the iPad several times before using the web browser Apps, they will crash when using tabbed browsing (like I do often) because a lot of Apps on the iPad (especially web browsing Apps) don't release used memory after they have exited.

Battery Life? That's like complaining that a Toyota Rav 4 4WD only gets 350 km's to a full tank (I'm an Aussie, so we use km's...), whereas a Toyota Corolla Hatch gets 600 km's to a full tank! Both have different litre engines! If I only get 3 hours use out of it, I don't care.

The iPad is a "Fondle-Slab" that's really only good for playing simple games and being a portble media player... The EP121 is a full productivity device that does EVERYTHING.

Bottom line: You can't compare Asus EP121’s to Apple's.

5. CMMD-Z

CMMD-Z Pen Pal - Newbie

So we all agree. The guy who wrote this article doesn't know jack. :)

6. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

I disagree. :)

I agree that you can't compare the EP121 to the iPad, but not because the EP121 is superior, they are simply targeting different markets. And there's nothing cutting edge about the EP121. None of the components are new and the OS is nothing unique. As for the car analogy, The Rav 4 may not be as fuel efficient as the corolla, but it's not 10 times worse. Even the Hummer is only 3 times worse (the military version might be 10 times worse). Is the Hummer an inferior vehicle? absolutely not. I'd like to see the US army use the Corolla on the desert. But it's probably fair to say the Hummer is not the most practical vehicle for daily commuting.

If heat's only use is to surf the web in a car, then the EP121 is not the right device. Jailbreak an ipad or get the Xoom once it supports flash.

I also think the EP121 is the more useful tool for my use, but I think the author's review is valid for the general public. And Asus probably agrees with it, otherwise the device would be much more widely available.

7. Raxel

Raxel Scribbler - Standard Member

Ipad components are just recycled iphone components and the OS is actually EXACTLY same iphone OS. What's cutting edge about ipad then? It's just a gigantic ipod touch with basically nothing new inside.

And I don't care what 'general public' thinks anyway. IT reviewer should know better than general public, and they have to let general public know more about the device they are reviewing. Yet this guy, completely ignorant about what he is reviewing and what it is made for, are comparing apples to oranges.

Bottom line is this device should not be compared to smaller and weaker ipad. If I reviewed the device, then I will at least put a few performance comparison to make sure this device is in totally different category.

One example, geekbench score. iPad 1: 375. iPad 2: 721. MBA 13: 3003.

8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In a car you have power so battery life is irrelevant. The EP121's screen works better in sunlight than the iPad from my testing, I've not tried the Xoom in sunlight but the screen on the Xoom isn't as good as the EP121 indoors to me. I can take my Windows Media Center recorded TV shows and copy them right over to local storage or a flash drive without transcoding and playback in a car on this beautiful and true 720P screen which beats the iPad. Also I use OneNote extensively for just about everything, I have full and instant access to my personal database, can add to it on the go if necessary and sync it all back up when I get home or ever over the web and I have my real pen.

So to me the main advantage to the iPad would be it's weight but that's about it. I'd much rather read and watch video on the EP121 outside in bright light because of better outdoor readability and the bigger and properly formated screen for HD video.

9. BradInOz

BradInOz IT Guru

Sorry, yes I got a bit sidetracked...

The main point wasn't to compare performance between the two, it was to compare the usability of the EP121 over the iPad. I thought that if I didn't state that I have an iPad already and use it everyday, that some Apple fanboi's would bring the iPad into it.

Don't get me wrong: the iPad is good as a portable media player, and has some handy Apps for it (about 95% of the other Apps are copies of others or complete rubbish). It just doesn't do productivity that well, that's all.

As I stated earlier, trying to get Microsoft Office doc's on and from the device is painful, formats change, and you only have a select few fonts available in Pages. Not very productive at all.

The EP121 however: It can be used a a writable notepad, has no problems with Office docs or whatever, etc... etc... It is a productivity device. You can get things done on it without worrying about having to convert, print, email, etc.

Hope I haven't opened a can of worms! :-/

10. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Nothing, because Apple understands that a consumer product doesn't have to be cutting edge. PS3 could be considered cut edge given its cell processor, yet it lost hands down to the much less capable Wii.

Unforutnately, IT reviewers care because it's the "general public" paying their salaries, especially somebody working for the G&M. It's not a tech magazine.

As I said, if I was reviewing the product, I would warn people who are interested in a portable media device away first since this is not a product for them. I doubt you will be deterred by that warning, and then we could discuss things like benchmarks and what not.

I still hope notebookcheck and anandtech will review the EP121. Their reviews will probably be much more interesting for more tech orientated people. Having said that, I doubt you will like what they are going to say. The EP121 does not compare favorable against the like of MBA in benchmarks and I suspect they will compare it to ultraportables which generally have much better battery lives. The EP121 made a unique compromise for a niche market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.