EP121 reviewed by Globe and Mail

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by species5618w, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

First main stream review of EP121, by a Canadian source no less.

I think it's a balanced review with a very predictable conclusion. As hash as it is, it's hard to argue against.

Review: Asus Eee Slate EP121 more of a laptop masquerading as a tablet - The Globe and Mail

Mind you, I can make the same argument against the iPad. There are more compelling smart phones and more practical netbooks. you're better off with one of each.

2. TRICH911

TRICH911 Pen Pal - Newbie

"The leather sleeve doubles as a stand, but it lifts the back of the display only a few inches, placing it at an uncomfortably low viewing angle."

Guess he was using the fold out tab instead of the more upright position by just using the folio's rubber-like edge to prop it up. When I do use the keyboard and a mouse, which is rare, I find this mimics a traditional setup without compromise.

3. AllenPapapetrou

AllenPapapetrou Scribbler - Standard Member

The article by Chad Sapieha is titled: Asus Slate more of a laptop masquerading as a tablet . And it starts as so:

Chad, mesmerized by market hype, not so eloquently displays the shallowness of his awareness of technological trends.

I've been living on the bleeding edge of PCs since the late 1970s when I built my first S100 CP/M box. I suspect for a number of us here, including myself, that we are not like "most people". So, for us, Chad's article provides little more than comic relief. And what seems intuitively obvious to us seems, for now, beyond Chad's comprehension.

Allen

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  4. Raxel

Raxel Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the review is very unprofessional and biased, and the reviewer seems to have clearly no knowledge of the product anyway. Everyone raves about how light macbook air is. This tablet is as powerful as 13" MBA (benchmark scores are close) ,weights almost same, priced cheaper, Yet the review is comparing this to smaller (and a lot weaker) ipad and blaming its weight. Just absurd. In the same way I can bash how heavy iPad is compared to ipod touch. Actually I think ipad is much closer to ipod touch than this tablet.

And everyone is raving about numerous apples 'apps' which is mostly just a glorified web pages and flash games with price tag. And windows have much more applications than IOS.

I think apple products are precisely designed to appeal to simple-minded consumers and reviewers. They feel fast (Not actually fast), look great, and lasts long. And the base model stripped of everything costs quite cheap.

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This reviewer does not know what is a tabletpc with a pen for.
    He considers it is only for painting or drawing but I use mines mainly for writing. Why to do a review when you do not know how to use it? As if I was doing a review of a hybrid car and I have only driven standard cars.

6. species5618w

I think that's Chad's point. The EP121 is for a niche market, not the general public. I doubt even Asus has higher expectations than that. I would probably word it a little differently, "If you need a laptop replacement in a tablet form, then reads on. Otherwise, it's not for you." For the general public who don't need laptops, the EP121's hefty weight, abysmal battery life and lack of touch friendly apps are simply too painful to ignore.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  7. species5618w

I also think the Mac Air is a fairer comparison although I'd say Mac Air is also not for the general public who usually only needs a netbook costing a few hundreds bucks. Also, the 13 inch MBA has a much better battery life, a keyboard and stronger graphic performance. Although I would probably still choose the EP121 given the better screen, touch interface and cheaper price.

8. AllenPapapetrou

AllenPapapetrou Scribbler - Standard Member

When you and Chad use "niche" you are correct. Chad relegates this "niche" to "graphic designers". You relegate the "niche" to those "who need a laptop replacement in a tablet form ". If Chad's, and your, lack of vision had been the view of those of us who ran CP/M and bought the first IBM PCs, Apples, and Commodores there would have been no advancement in Personal Computers at all.

The true niche of the EP121 is those of us who live on the bleeding edge of computers. We find the benefits and problems of these first of kind devices. We lead the way with vision, imagination, and experience well before the general public.

But Chad's and your comments are true - for the general public. Not for us. We are truly a niche of adventurers. We explore the unknown and very few are our numbers compared to the "general public". When we've moved on to further adventures, the general public will follow our paths in technologies we've proven true as they've done through history.

Allen

9. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

I disagree. Pen-based tablets have significant utility in settings where writing is necessary and laptops are unworkable. For example, just within the legal field:
    - client counselling
    - obtaining signature
    - taking notes in a court or tribunal

I agree that if we're just talking about reading, e-book readers and low-powered touch slates running either iOS or Gingerbread are superior.

10. CMMD-Z

CMMD-Z Pen Pal - Newbie

All this Apple/PC bias is pretty lame. why can't it just be a simple subjective crit? I've grown up using Apple but I also use PC's. There are both + and -'s on both ends. I use both OS' daily and agree comparing it to an Ipad is NOT a fair comparison. I owned an Ipad as well as a MBA. But sold both for this. Although I love Apple's interface the EP121 is definitely a lot more flexible in terms of use. Ipad's and Android devices are yeah just pretty much for peeps on the go who just need simple uses here and there.

My main comp is a 13" MBP with Bootcamp installed which I'll use at home. This is just about the perfect on the go portable PC I can imagine without the weight of carrying around that many accessories. It has the flexibility of a regular tablet but the function of an actual computer which is what I and I'm sure most on the go professionals have been waiting for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.