EP121 replacement power adapter

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by amademan78, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knightwrangler

knightwrangler Pen Pal - Newbie

I happened to come across your posting on fixing the tip CF77 !
    Unfortunately both the outside and inside barrels of the pin are broken off so no go on the soldering fix...
    Is it possible to use the tip that comes with the Powerline adapter (sold at Walmart) with the Innergie mLite adapter?
    I'm just concerned about the fit and if the polarity will align properly that and Innergie is not responding to an email and their tip program submit form doesn't seem to be working...

So is somebody here using this as a solution? Please let me know Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. berny

berny Pen Pal - Newbie

You will need two pieces from radio shack. The universal plug that the plug will fit into. We will call this piece A. Here it is on Radio Shack's website: RadioShack

The second piece is the proper tip that will plug into the universal socket above and also fit into the charging hole on your tablet. I strongly suggest going to radio shack with your tablet and making sure this plug fits. the one I am using now has a G on it but the picture on the website looks a little different from mine. Just make sure you get one that fits into the tablet and is for the socket mentioned above. Well call this part B. Here is the link RadioShack

I was able to replace my tip with one from radio shack. It fits and charges but is very loose and I usually have to put pressure on the plug some how to make it charge. But it does work.

Before you cut the old tip off strip the coating off the wires leading to it. Use a multi meter to determine which wire connects to the outside of the barrel plug and mark it. Then cut the wires to remove the tip. Before you connect it you need to make sure the polarity is right. Plug part A into part B and loosly connect the two wires from part A to the the bare wires from your cord that you just cut. make sure the use your multimeter to see if the one you marked connects to the outside of the barrel. If not switch them .Now permanently connect part A to the wires coming from your power supply. Make sure the wires don't touch each other. The first time I used wire nuts and electrical tape and it was really messy. The second time I just twised the wires together and used white heat shrink tubing to hold the whole thing together. It looks much cleaner now. Give it a try and let me know how it works. I can take pictures of mine if you need me to.

3. berny

berny Pen Pal - Newbie

I apologize for the typos above. I am using my phone because I am having my own power supply problems. I have gone thru 4 tips using the above process but now it seems my whole power supply has failed. When I plug it into the wall, the blue light doesn't come on and it wont charge mhy tablet. So now I need a new power supply. I would rather not spend a bunch of money on the one from Asus. I also want one that I don't have to mess with a tip that doesn't fit or I have to send back several times. I was wondering if anyone had found one yet. I found a one on amazon and was wondering if anyone knows if it actually work. I am probably goinsg to buy this one but it only has one review. Anyone know for sure if it works or doesn't work? Here it is: Replacement 60W AC Adapter.Free Notebook Parts Outlet Microfiber Adapter Pouch:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

4. knightwrangler

I was able to find a solution using previous postings on this thread and I meant to reply back sooner.

As I wrote previously, I bought the Innergie mCube Lite. It is an exact clone of the EP 121 adapter, but the power tips can be changed.
    The tip needed "L" is not supplied in the package of 9.
    I emailed Innergie to inquire about it and also went ahead and filled out their free replacement tip form on their website too.
    Well, they never did reply back and they don't even have a contact phone number on their website!
    How wonderful of Innergie to support their customers !
    So referring back to previous posts, and to berny if you are reading this post, "The Source" (It's the Canadian version of Radio Shack) had a similar tip but it was out of stock and it is not the same part # you listed.
    I ended up going back another to Wal-mart and was able to get the Powerline adapter-it has one tip in which the barrel fits into the EP 121.
    It isn't an exact match between the Innergie and Powerline but I was able to make it work.
    There are two prongs below the tip that could fit into the holes of the Innergie adapter, although one was slightly thicker-which made me believe that it was the positive terminal. (It is not marked like the Innergie adapter is)
    Using needle-nose pliers I squeezed the tip down a bit and was able to force it with a bit of pressure into the positive hole.
    As you can see the fit is good. The tablet runs on AC power and battery charges fine too. The only thing I noticed is that the cord length is shorter than the original charger.

So happy to be able to use my tablet again! berny, I hope this helps you out.

IMG_0112_2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  5. berny

berny Pen Pal - Newbie

It is help full. It would be nice if I could buy some thing at wall Mart so I don't have to wait for it to Get shipped to my house. I know other people have been able to make the inergie one work after fighting worth the company or with modification like you. I have been fighting with this charger for months and am tired of solutions that kind of work. I would like to buy a charger for less than$70 that will work properly with out wiggling jiggling or major modification. Maybe that is asking too much. I am going to order the one I mentioned earlier and see if I get lucky

6. berny

berny Pen Pal - Newbie

7. knightwrangler

berny, check my link here:
    Amazon.com: Innergie mCube Lite 65 Watt Ultra Slim Universal AC Adapter with USB Port for Notebooks and Portable Devices: Computers & Accessories

8. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

If you have wiggle., then it is not the power supply plug problem...check inside the unit...you can push the socket back out and insert a rubber piece behind it. the original design seems to allow the socket to move a bit from hitting the line.

9. berny

berny Pen Pal - Newbie

I have looked at this one. From what I read earlier in this thread or maybe another, that adapted doesn't consistently come with the correct plug for the ep121. It sounded like some got it, others didn't but emailed the company and got one easily and others had more difficultly. Maybe I have it confused with another. I would like to get one that works, fits properly and that I can count on fitting properly and not fighting with the company to fix it.

10. berny

berny Pen Pal - Newbie

I am not sure you are replying to me. If you are I think I didn't explain the problem properly. The plug wiggles within the socket. that part doesn't bother me, what the primary problem is it only makes contact and charges the tablet when held just so. If I just plug it in it fits loosly, doesn't charge, and sometimes falls out. I have to plug it in and put sideways pressure on it so it will make contact and charge. When I first broke the tip I tested the slightly too small diameter replacement from radioshack and the old one that had broken off. The replacement fit loosely and wiggled, the original fit firmly and did not wiggle. If I could fix my problem with radio shack tips with your solution that would be awesome, please let me know.
    Thank you and everyone for all of your help. I think I am going to order this one today and hope that it works. If it doesn't I will return it to Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.