Ep121 not holding a charge?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by kimbosliced, Apr 16, 2011.

1. kimbosliced

kimbosliced Pen Pal - Newbie

So, my Ep121 that I received on Tuesday is now not holding a charge. The battery icon states: "Plugged in, not charging".

Any idea on what I should do?

I'm considering just returning in to the seller because of the possibility of an internal battery issue and not the AC adapter.

Sorry, I posted this originally in the wrong forum.

2. jinnijinn

jinnijinn Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine says that too, but the reason it's not charging is that it's already at 100% charge.

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Sometimes they do not charge even at 95% level..It is normal.

how long do you get when you are on battery is more likely the question.

4. kimbosliced

Actually, I found the answer to my problem. It worked! 95% and charging!

Uninstalling and reinstalling power management software in Windows Vista/Windows 7

In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
    1. Access the "Device Manager" .
    2. Expand the Batteries category.
    3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall. (I've seen some computer where there are TWO of these listings.. Uninstall both if they exist.)
    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
    4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
    Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. Restarting Windows will have the same effect of letting Windows re-recognize the hardware and installing the correct drivers.

If that doesn't fix it, then shut down the computer, unplug all power cords, remove the battery, then depress the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the battery making sure all connections are solid, then plug in the power cord. Hopefully things are good.

Hope this helps.

5. kimbosliced

Now my question is, why did the software mess up so early? Any ideas?

6. homer1324

homer1324 Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually uninstalling and reinstalling the driver is a dangerous 'fix' here.
    WMI is what manages and reports battery stats. One of its features is that it inteligently charges the battery.
    Basically, windows will read plugged in not charging, if it makes a decision to not charge the battery in order to optimize performance and hardware life. For example, charging generates a LOT of heat-- its possible that windows wasnt charging your battery because it decided that charging it isn't worth the additional heat. Although that is just one example and may not be anywhere near the case of what happened with your slate.

That being said, it's possible that there IS an issue with your slate but its important to distinguish how likely that is and what it could be.

1)It could be a battery issue
    2)It could be a charger issue
    3) it could be a batter controller issue.

The first thing is to give windows a bit of time to optimize; if you notice this happens often enough to actually affect your usage, then you should go down the line of troubleshooting steps to help you isolate the issue. (hint, static resets can do magic in fixing problems like this)

hope this helps and dont be discouraged!

also, congrats on your new slate!

7. kimbosliced

Strange. The above actually worked for me....anything to be concerned about?

8. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

So what happens if you leave it plugged in charging whilst in the BIOS, or with an OS other than windows running?

Usually, laptops etc. have their charging controlled with either the bios or hardware controls, not just the OS

9. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

good point..bios version ?

10. homer1324

homer1324 Pen Pal - Newbie

Youre absolutely correct, they do. However its just like external video. Basically when you turn on any laptop with a cable for video out connected to an external monitor, it will output the video to an external monitor even in bios. Before starting the OS, bios handles the basics (BASIC INPUT OUTPUT SYSTEM) of a computer such as battery management and video but once windows is loaded, it actually takes control of alot of those things--including battery management.

Im not disagreeing with you though, your statement was exactly correct-- computers DO have their battery managed by hardware and bios and not just the OS.