EP121 graphics score (WEI) changes

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by YetAnotherDave, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's some notes on what Windows Experience Index reported through the process as I updated my new EP121 tonight-

1. WEI 3.1 - default system right out of the box (limited by graphics score)

2. WEI 3.3 - SP1 and all windows updates EXCEPT new Intel graphics driver installed. Intel HD Graphics Driver version unknown.

3. WEI 3.1 - new Intel HD Graphics Driver 8.15.10.2302 (?) installed through windows update

So I'm guessing that the latest graphics driver from Windows Update may be sub-optimal for the EP121.

Can anyone confirm this? I've seen WEI fluxuate .1 in tests but never .3

Update: Oh, I see that 8.15.10.2321 is the latest at Intel at the moment. I'll try that and update this thread asap.

Update2: WEI 3.1 running the latest Intel 8.15.10.2321 driver.

2. CerN

CerN Pen Pal - Newbie

The gpu speed is affected by turbo boost, so make sure it's in performance mode.

3. murfmiser

murfmiser Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, mine have dropped with the updates as well

4. unclewebb

unclewebb Pen Pal - Newbie

Have any of you guys tried running ThrottleStop to increase the turbo TDP/TDC values? Just click on the TPL (Turbo Power Limits) button. Alienware sets these to 10/30 for the UM CPUs. Bumping this up to 30/30 has made a significant difference to performance. These settings are used to control both the amount of CPU turbo boost as well as the on chip GPU. It would be very interesting to see an increase in performance in the EP121 with this little trick.

5. murfmiser

I just grabbed ThrottleStop and did what you mentioned and ran the WEI test again, and it managed to bump my score from a 3.2 to a 3.3 which I haven't had since the intel update.

Don't know What half the settings are, but is there anything else I can try? What are the dangers to changing those values?

6. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

I use TS on all of my 2core laptops. Look in unclewebbs siggy and go to the TS guide. It tells you the hows and whys.

7. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

I can say I get better performance out of all my lappys with this. Thanks again UW.

8. unclewebb

unclewebb Pen Pal - Newbie

murfmiser: Setting TDP/TDC to 30/30 and setting Force TDP/TDC to 8 should help maximize full load performance with the UM CPUs. Make sure that ThrottleStop is turned on so it changes from Monitoring Mode to active. The M11x-R2 users that are seeing the biggest difference are overclocking the base clock from 133 MHz to 166 MHz so when not overclocking, the performance increase might not be that great.

You can also try running a benchmark program like wPrime to see what settings improve performance.

9. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi uncleweb,

I'd like to try it out, but personally I'm more interested in extending battery life than increasing performance.

I'll dig into TS tonight, but in the meantime, if you don't mind my asking:

How can I expect ThrottleStop to effect battery life?

How risky is running TS in a somewhat limited thermal enclosure like the EP121?

Are there any precautions I can take to limit risks?

Thanks in advance for your contribution. I might try this out on my H70-cooled P8P67/i7-2600K first..

10. murfmiser

I also set the other setting, nothing new to report there, I am happy that it was able to raise my base score two points though (3.1 to 3.3). I wonder if setting the base clock to 166 would help. Saw it mentioned that you have to do that in the bios, and I doubt our bios supports that... :(

I do have a Throttlestop question though, There is a button just above options that toggles through the c states, I can't remember what it defaulted to, and I'm not sure what it's doing when I change it. I can't seem to find an explanation in the docs. Am I messing things up by changing that? I set it to max, hopefully that isn't bad...

Thanks for this awesome program!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.