EP121 FlipSteady case Video preview

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Routb3d, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds Scribbler - Standard Member

Any idea of a shipping schedule for UK orders Isaiah?

2. Routb3d

Routb3d Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll see if I can replicate that.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil inc.

3. Routb3d

Alun,

We have sent product to everyone who has ordered. If it's not with you, it's on the way.. Sent via USPS no later than the 2nd of October. Hope that helps..

Thanks

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil inc.

4. AlunReynolds

Excellent! Thanks Isaiah

5. AlunReynolds

Received the flip-steady a couple of days ago. Out of the box it looks and feels nice. Not too hard to fit. A bit of wriggling (like getting into tight trousers:eek:)) to get everything in the perfect postion. I am still experimenting with how it folds to get the right angles for reading, typing, hand writing etc.

As a portrait mode stand it is immediately apparent that it is very good indeed. Landscape though seems a little harder to get right. I am sure that is lack of familiarity with the product though. I don't seem to have the problem with the home button. Probably my fingers are small enough to poke through the holes.

It doesn't add much bulk to the slate, which is very important to me. I hated the supplied folio case and spent a long time trying to invent an alternative.

A couple of areas for improvement:

When in landscape mode, the left side of the slate needs a 1cm wad of post-it notes under the corner to make the slate sit level. It almost needs a tab leg on the left side.

The snap fastners on the back don't hold very well and keep coming un-popped. They don't snap very hard-on and are fiddly to get lined up. I know you hate velcro Isaiah but this is perhaps an application where some recessed velcro might have been better.

There is no anchor for the cover when it is folded over the face of the slate. So I think, with a bit of wear the floppyness of the cover might reach a point where it will sag. That's where a snap-fastner or some alternative would add value.

I will keep using it and see how it goes. But generally, particularly for a product still in development, it works well.

Alun

Update: Have had to remove the cover temporarily as I am getting window pop-ups whenever I grip the slate on the left hand side. Seems that the fabric of the cover touching the black are of the glass with any pressure triggers off the start menu, the text input window and some of the apps that i have pinned icons for on the left hand side, which is where I keep my task-bar.

Will try to refit and see if it cures it.

Update 2: Took the cover off, as I had a meeting to go to. Have refitted it at home this evening and I don't seem to be having the problem with windows opening up spontaneously.

My snap fasteners on the lid and back are not working at all though. They don't 'snap' will probably fit some new ones.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi folks,

I received my FlipSteady about 1 week ago and have been holding off on a review until I could spend some time with it at work. I'm happy to say that I'm definitely sticking with it, though with some small grumbles.

Like many here I was unhappy with how much bulk the Asus folio added to my EP121, and that was one of my main reasons for trying Isiah's invention. The Flip definitely reduces that and, as a result, the EP feels slimmer and more portable. One downside is that the Asus folio was nicely padded which made for comfortable carrying, whereas the naked edges of the EP aren't quite as comfortable. But that's got nothing to do with the FlipSteady.

I definitely enjoy the added flexibility of the multiple positions of the FlipSteady and started making use of them immediately, both for viewing and for inking. That's a real plus of this stand.

Another plus is the aesthetics - since putting my EP in the Flip, people assume I've got a new, slick looking tablet. The smooth material of the Flip and the metallic case of the EP definitely make a better visual impression than the Asus folio (no phone numbers yet, though :p).

So, overall, the Flip is definitely a thumbs up. That said, it's not perfect as is. Like others here, I've found that it's steadier and more level in portrait orientation than in landscape, which is disappointing since I spend more time in landscape. That problem can be adjusted every time you set up the tablet, but that's obviously not ideal. Second, I've had a few instances of the phantom-screen-touch that others have already complained about. My occurrences seem more rare than theirs, and I think they only happen if I unsnap the flattening-strap thingy and then try to re-snap it - that seems to increase pressure through the bindings. My third complaint is with that flattening-snap-strap thing (what the heck do I call it?). From the videos I was expecting a small switch, not a strap that snaps on and off. Releasing the strap is easy, but reattaching is never easy and always takes too much fiddling. Also, the strap/snap definitely takes away from the look of the Flip. Finally, I agree with Alun that it's a problem that there's no anchor for the cover when it's 'closed' over the screen. Even brand new, the cover flops around a bit when I'm carrying my EP around (not the whole cover, just the bottom 1/3 in portrait orientation). Seems to me that's the perfect spot to put a few tiny magnets, which are both all the rage for tablet covers these days and a very practical solution to this issue. Isaiah, have you considered that? I might see if I can find some small ones I can attach to my case.

Congratulations on your creation Isaiah, I think it's a winner! I hope you continue to refine and improve it, as I think it would be popular for lots of the new devices still emerging (iPad Min being the next obvious big seller).

Danny

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. Routb3d

Danny,

Thanks for your review! We will continue to refine the product and nudge it ever closer to perfection. Please let us know when you get a phone number so we can legitimately start calling the FlipSteady a Chick Magnet. :)

Watch out for those magnets! Test them with Duct tape before you embed anything permanently.. Make sure to test the Stylus with the magnets in their intended position. Every test I did with magnets on the EP121 resulted in interference with the Wacom stylus. If you can't find a solution for the magnets I would suggest a small tether sewn to the bottom edge of the cover that loops around a hook that is sewn on a bottom back strap..

Plug - K&J Magnets is a great place to buy magnets to test..

BTW - We call the Ribbon with the snap on the end "The Tether". It took us a while to get that identifier shrunk down to a reasonable name that met the object's purpose. Writing a 13 Page patent helped with those kinds of things. :)

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil Inc.

8. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Darn, that's too bad - magnets are cool! Thanks for the warning, though.

9. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Pen Pal - Newbie

How about velcro?

10. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Pen Pal - Newbie

Really got to emphasize the landscape issue. Been using it for a while now, and honestly, I can't see how landscape was planned out for it. I mean, it's really a noticeable problem in my opinion and should have been fixed before ever sold. It's a great attempt though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.