EP121 final verdict; don't buy.

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by homer1324, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murfmiser

murfmiser Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had mine since march, and I love it, since I've had it I've managed to convince 6 others to buy. None of us have had any issues. Well except the new comers are getting machines with better battery life and slightly better performance. If you have issues, I'd get them fixed. As for not buying this, I think it's getting more and more worth buying every day. Asus seems to be ironing out issues as production continues and the competition doesn't seem to be competing.

2. Grimspoon

Grimspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

Whats this about better battery life and performance?

3. WildParadise

WildParadise Pen Pal - Newbie

It still costed a lot when it was out of stock and with that defective rate.

I'm also pretty sure that the ep121 doesn't have that defect rate. Sure you got lemons, probably all from the same defective batch, doesn't mean that the product is a no go to buy for others.

4. Grimspoon

Grimspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine was purchased from a refreshed inventory / stock at Best Buy Canada in mid April, came with the 501 bios.

Think mine is one of the newer / improved models with slightly better battery and performance?

Any way to tell which ones are which?

5. jimmy1

jimmy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Slightly off topic but like a mug a tried another shot at an iPad V1 64GB = screen bleed! (Thats 4 ipad 2s and 3 ipad 1s in a 3 week period people) That was Apples last last chance with me so decided to switch camps to Android and purchased a Asus Eee Pad Transformer. Not only does it have screen bleed on the lower left area but once I adjusted brightness the screen switches off? Press power to bring it back and touch the screen and it switches off again - this is running on mains with over 50% battery? Without mains connected the power button doesnt wake the device but the screen does flash for a split second. So DOA then! Hard rebooted several times and the startup / setup menus all work but once into the device the screen keeps switching off?!! Starting to think someone or something is trying to tell me something.....another device into the returns system then.

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Getting 2 Ipad2 this week ..waiting for the them to arrive. will check for any bleeding..

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dude what`s it with you & faulty devices? or maybe it comes back to what I told the OP, have you read the book, `The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born`?, the perfect devices are not yet made. Keep searching, there`re somethings that you`ll never find.

8. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

"Thats 4 ipad 2s and 3 ipad 1s in a 3 week period people"

Jimmy... you are a nightmare of the customer service...

:eek: Maybe 1st think then do....If you have so huge needs then get 2000$ eizo. Thats my advice.

9. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think everyone needs to complain. (well, not sure how bad his was, but my screen was bad). Yellow edges are a defect. Dead and hot pixels are defects. Asus must agree, as they are fixing the "problem" (their words)
    I never encountered a bad screen until a year or two ago, and now do fairly often. These are FLAWS and need to be resolved by the manufacturers. Companies are moving production to cheaper plants, using less skilled labor.
    manufacturers are there to make money, and if they can take advantage of us and not fix flaws, they WILL take that option.
    We all have to complain about these obvious flaws so that they fix them.
    We're not asking for the mythical perfect device. I run an IT company and have personally owned many laptops and other devices and researched and purchased them for multiple people at 50 different companies, and again, these issues are new and are a result of manufacturers cutting corners. we need to complain.

--Ill add, my screen issue wasn't just extra light bleeding through at the corners (like uneven backlighting or something), but were actually yellow. Plus I had dead pixels scattered here and there.

10. jimmy1

jimmy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps Im giving the impression that Im simply looking for problems so find them, but as Ive said many times now a light bleeding screen is a fault I cannot live with. I am the user who will be watching the film or reading in a comic in a dark environment so will constantly see the light bleed.

The fact that my Asus Eee Pad screen wouldnt stay on was also clearly a fault and on battery alone the device wouldnt even wake! If the screen isnt on I cannot use the device?!

Having already owned an iPad 1 which was fault free I know these devices can be made perfect. (why oh why did I sell it)

Not sure what your getting at: I want a tablet, that is defect free - I make my purchase. Im happy that an iPad for example can do everything I want from it but Im disapointed when I find it is defective. I dont send it back out of buyers remorse for example. Eizo dont appear to sell tablets with operating systems so I'll assume your taking the piss?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2779476?start=750&tstart=0

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015