EP121 final verdict; don't buy.

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by homer1324, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

When you buy these at Micro Center Warehouse or Staples they set up the machine to make sure it is in working order before they hand it to you. And you can bring them in and they will refund your money or try to fix them.

We all want good quality, but compared to machines of just a year or two ago, these new machines are fantastic. They have come a long in terms of usability and screen resolution and touch responsiveness.

Some may want to make the perfect the enemy of the good. Many of the reviewers on Amazon love the computer. Maybe they are not all power users, but a whole lot of people give it high marks.

I am ready to trade in my TM2 for this machine having tried it out in the store. It is very impressive when it is in working order. It looks great, but more importantly, touch seems very improved over other competing machines and it is fast.

2. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

It's really not a matter of usability of screen resolution or touch responsiveness. It's just crappy quality control, although I wouldn't say the EP121 is any worse than any other PC. Given my experience with thinkpads, I doubt the X200t would be any difference and thinkpads are well regarded in the PC industry. My thinkpad is running at 84 degree again, EP121 never went close to that even during performance testing.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Oh, I would agree that the 121 clearly stays very cool and quiet (when someone isn't having the fan unexplainably turn on at high speed) and clearly has a beautiful screen with great touch input (when things aren't clicking by themselves, etc.). I would agree that the 121 really answers common complaints about Thinkpads when they occur- temps being too high (particularly the icores) and fans too loud.

I meant my comments to be more about quality control too- the threads about light leaking, fans turning on too high, touch turning off on one side, pen calibration being off, wires connecting to screens or fans being loose inside, unexplained clicking of touch input, etc. Some of them seem to be quality control issues, and some of them seem to be about a need for smoother integration between the system functioning and the base settings for Win7 OS. Thus my comment about power-users (or those ok with doing lots of research) being, perhaps, a better market for this type of computer- they're better equipped to deal with the sort of hiccups this seems to be having.

Anyways, didn't mean to go on and on about this. Just wanted to add a different opinion to the mix than I was seeing, to provide a bit of balance.

4. jinnijinn

jinnijinn Pen Pal - Newbie

I think Steve makes some very good points. I've had my slate for about 6 weeks now, and it still feels a little quirky; it freezes once a day--usually the physical button unfreezes it--,it sometimes seems to lose random settings, and all the talk of various drivers makes me wonder why the optimum drivers aren't just pushed to ep121 owners--and incompatible ones should not be pushed in windows updates. And the pen seems to get jittery and to require a lot of correction.

I still may sell this and keep shopping, but it's so fast and I'm so spoiled by the touch--this morning I was working on my Macbookpro and tried to touch a link on the screen.

I do understand why the OP reached a 'do not buy' conclusion.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it freezes once a day...>>

jinn: I don't usually follow this forum, so forgive me if I'm repeating something... but have you tried turning off power management (that is, use the performance setting and set everything to never go to sleep).

I'd be interested to know if that improves any of your problems...?

6. jinnijinn

jinnijinn Pen Pal - Newbie

Steve, I've used the performance setting, but haven't noticed whether the freeze happens when it is enabled. I'll give it a try, though, thanks!

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'll give it a try...>>

...Note that this means to operate for at least a day or two with your normal routine. If you run out of battery during any of your sessions, you'll need to use an external battery or your AC power adapter until you reach a "typical" use time.

Did you see any of your typical problems crop up during the test period...???

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Seeing as how I may have contributed to some of the negativity with my compiled issues thread I feel I need to state - I don't agree with the OP.

Despite it's flaws, this is still an excellent machine.

Certainly one of, if not the best slate PC on the market today. ASUS scored a good balance of size, weight, screen quality, performance, and touch responsiveness in the EP121.

And trust me, after using tablet PCs for the past 6 years, you will find many of them are simply too bulky (nearly all models), have awful color and viewing angles (TM2), are have crippling digitizer defects (LatitudeXT). Having a good blend of all the major features is godsend after years of frustration at the lack of one feature or another. The only other tablet PC to come close to this magical blend is the TC 1100, but of course it's hardware is ancient by today's standards.

So all in all, don't let the issues here on the forum skew the overall picture. There are far worse issues on other tablets, and the customer support isn't necessarily any better from other company's like Dell or HP. This slate is a candidate for 'best-in-class' device from a hardware perspective, plain and simple.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At Steve-B, quality control is an issue every major hardware maker is besieged with, so you can`t hold it out on Asus, while no one would like to have issues with their device, it is a fact of life & like I said, that is also the essence of tech or cust. support depts. in every company. Pls. be aware that we all paid the same price for our slate & none(well not saying with certainty)is an Asus staff, so why would anyone pretend the slate is perfect when its not.
    I for one disagreed with the OP in my earlier posting for, 1. his extreme branding of Asustek`s customer service which in the few instances we have seen with regards to this slate is quite the opposite.
    2.his view of the user-serviceability of the slate, again something we have seen quite the opposite from postings here,and one which i believe to be unnecessary if point no.1(above)Asus cust.support is good.
    3.I doubt he actually got 4 unusable units.Which comes back to the question of people thinking so much about the money they spent to get a product that they can`t actually enjoy it.
    My challenge to the OP is this, please come back to this forum whenever you are able to buy that ideal impeccable device out there and let us know so we too can buy it for ourselves. Goodluck dude.

10. virtus

virtus Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't had any quality control issues with mine. It might be because I got mine through Microsoft. I'm not saying MS gets the best stock, but they did open my box, turn it on, and install their Live junk before sending it to me. So I would guess that if there were obvious problems they would send it back to Asus rather than send out a defective unit.

So maybe you have a better chance of avoiding some issues if you get it from MS?