EP121 exchanged for MS Surface Pro using BestBuy warranty

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by BenjaminRies, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

Bought the 2/32 version of the EP121 two and a half years ago from BestBuy Canada for $999. Later, used their price matching policy to get $50 back when they put the device on sale.

Had a couple of lemon units at the beginning, resulting in 3 exchanges. As a reward for my frustration, BestBuy offered to sell me their extended "Service Protection Plan" at a discount - 3 years for the price of 2. Went for it (though I normally never buy into that crap).

Last year, the two little leather loops that hold the EP121 in its case snapped off (the edge of the slate is sharp and eventually wears through, I guess). Took it into BestBuy, and they refused to replace it. Told me it wasn't a functional issue (WTF?)...

Then I began to notice a weird darkened pattern of pixels across the middle of the screen - subtle, but whatever. Finally, earlier this year the volume rocker switch completely broke off.

Checked BestBuy Canada website... 16 units left in stock, selling for like $500. But I'm a busy guy, what can I say... so a few weeks went by before I looked again ;) And when I did, 0 units in stock. Two days later, the product can't be found anywhere on the BestBuy site.

Policy says that if repairs can't be made, they have to give you a new unit. And if they don't have the unit available, they have to give you a similar one. And if they don't have a similar one, they give you back the value that you originally spent. So I marched down to BestBuy and convinced them that 3 minor issues add up to 1 warranty defect. After two weeks of trying to repair the problems (good luck kids, the display is "optically bonded") at Geek Squad service depot, they gave in.

I'm typing this post on a Surface Pro 128GB, which cost me an extra $50 plus $110 for the touch cover. Jackpot!

It has been fun everyone, so thanks for your valuable resources on this forum. If there are any EP121 owners out there looking for an upgrade, I've got a 4GB ram module, the Intel 6230 wifi/BT card and a D-Link WiDi receiver available, and I'm feeling generous - so send me a PM.

2. mortonkd

mortonkd Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm interested in the 6230. Send me a price.

3. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

FYI I'm in Toronto, Canada. And I really wish the Surface Pro wasn't so completely glued together as to make it impossible for me to put my Intel 6230 in it. The crappy Marvell AVASTAR 350N they cheaped out on not only takes away any possibility of WiDi compatibility, but frequently drops into "limited connectivity" mode. By contrast, the Intel 6230 kept a rock-solid connection for as long as I used it. I don't understand Microsoft's thinking on this - they saved what, like $5 per unit? When they're already shelling out for the i5 and the 4000 series graphics, you'd think sticking with intel would be a no-brainer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.