EP121 Blue Screen Of Death? :(

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by ilya11naza, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandit83

bandit83 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much for your advice! :D I FINALLY got it to work, after days of frustration & trying this and that. :) Pen sensitivity is now OK for Photoshop CS5, Sketchbook Pro, Corel & Art Rage.

What I did:

Full system recovery
    Installed all Windows updates except Realtek HD Audio Drivers and EETI PCAP MultiTouch Digitizer
    Installed CS5, Sketchbook 11, Corel
    Created a System Restore Point
    Crossed my fingers & installed Wacom "ISD_DualTouch_701-8" driver
    Restart system and BOOM! Success!

And no BSOD. :D YAY!

Edit: Just got BSOD again when I turned off the Slate and turned it on again. ARGH.

Edit2: Windows restored my system back to the point where I hadn't installed the Wacom driver yet. I installed it, checked that everything worked and made a new restore point. Restarted the computer and it worked well. Weeeird.

Like Jerelyn, I did not (and will not) change any settings the second time around because I don't want to rock the boat. :p

2. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,
    I don't have the slate yet (not available here), so can't really grab the information.
    For those getting the BSOD, can you remember the hex code output?
    Can someone post a list of devices from device manager?
    I had an issue on my desktop recently, apparently the latest sp1 for windows 7 has caused an incompatibility with systems that use power saving modes, and boot from SSD (actually use the SCSI miniport driver).
    Microsoft have 'released' a beta fix for it on their website. You have to register for the patch, it is not yet available from windows update. It did fix my desktop BSOD though.
    If someone could get the hex code and the text before it, we can see whether it is the same, and I can post a link to register at.

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

hi, guys

I received an unofficial Wacom Enhanced Graphic driver from Wacom support.

did A restore point.. and intalled the new driver..

so far, I have reboot with battery and no BSOD..

YES.. NO BSOD. however, I will try it for several more days.

driver name : ISD_DualTouch_702-18_web

I tried Artrage..and there is pressure.. works very well than before..
    still factory win 7 ..no re-install. Every inking experience improved. There is a setting page in control panel that Mon could set tip & eraser hardness.

onenote inkingbis even better. sticky notes..ok.

I do not have Photoshop or SkBook. so I could not tell you how this driver works with these softwares.

Wacom indicates they are currently testing the driver and would release it in couple of weeks.

update: 7 on-off on battery mode..no BSOD..EVERYTHINGjust work smoothly..

anther update..BSOD THIS MORNING..AGHH..on battery.

update: a SOTWARE patch finally get rid the BSOD.. still testing. after 15 boot ups on battery. it is good.

4. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wanted to point out that I did get BSODs after installing "Wacom Penabled Driver Driver 7.01-8 (RC) for Penabled Tablet PCs". I simply uninstalled from "Programs and Features" control panel and no more BSOD. No need to restore to factory or use restore point.

I can't wait for them to release a new version that fixes the BSOD. Thanks for keeping this alive...

5. CF77

BSoD happened when you Boot on battery or plugged-in.?? what model # do you have??

6. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it only happened on battery.
    I have EP121-1A010M
    VN: 3984

7. KryFreeman

KryFreeman Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I hope all of you are able to solve your BSOD issues without sending your EP121 back to ASUS. That's really not something you want to do.
    I received mine 2/7 and started getting the BSOD within 5 days, so I tried some of the things in this thread with no luck. Restore disks, new drivers, etc. It would blue screen randomly (30 seconds to 20 minutes), and eventually was doing it within a minute of boot (thought it might be a heat issue but it blue screened within 45 seconds even after being off for a couple of hours) and in safe mode.
    After many phone calls where they even denied supporting it through the main #, told me they would give an RMA and didn't, then had me try numerous things I'd already told them I'd done, they grudgingly gave me an RMA. Sent it 2/21, they got it 2/25, and I'm still waiting. I call every 2-4 days and they've been telling me for 2.5 weeks that they are waiting on a part. Had I bought this at Best Buy or Fry's I'd have returned it and gotten a replacement by now, but because I pre-ordered through Microsoft, I'm at ASUS' mercy. I've lost the nice light custom Microsoft OS load it initially came with and if I eventually get it back will have to contend with the extra ASUS software.
    I really hope all of you can solve your BSOD's without sending your machines back to ASUS. I like the EP121, but hate ASUS. :mad:
    /rant off

8. CF77

Kryman..

Just to clarify..you have BSOD after installing WACOM enhanced driver 7.1-8?

or just BSOD from normal using?

9. KryFreeman

KryFreeman Pen Pal - Newbie

The BSOD started after a few days of normal use with no driver modifications - Stock out of the box with only the addition of MS Office and Photoshop. After the BSOD started popping up, I used the suggestions in this thread to install the WACOM driver from their website (not sure which version) and I think I tried the Fujitsu driver later as well, both not making much of a difference.
    Used the restore point to go back to fresh out of the box (no Office, Photoshop), still blue screened. Used the restore disks (losing my MS load in the process), but still blue screened. Even in safe mode. That's when I called ASUS. :(

10. CF77

Sounds like you have a defect unit or software problem from start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.