EP121 Blue Screen Of Death? :(

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by ilya11naza, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilya11naza

ilya11naza Pen Pal - Newbie

Hm... Interesting. I wonder if clean install is the reason, or if part of the batch is faulty. Anybody else with EP121 and wacom drivers not having problems?

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Oh.. I just installed the Fujitsu pen driver. ?? I will wait and see. If I get the BSOD again..I have to uninstalled it.

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Fujitsu Driver crashed my slate. Don't do it. It also happens while it is on battery but fully charged. Any other solutions?? I hate doing clean install!!

Make sure you have a USB mouse handy to recover. Touch is useless.

4. ilya11naza

ilya11naza Pen Pal - Newbie

Good to know, thanks.
    The only suggestion I have is try this Fujitsu driver instead. Fox-orion mentioned it earlier as being also superior to the wacom's driver. It's supposed to support pen+touch. It's a different version from the one mentioned in his article. Support - Fujitsu Technology Solutions

I dont want to try it myself since my system is squeaky clean. But if you end up installing it let me know if it works.

If you do a clean install, try windows 7 ultimate - perpahs that will fix the issue.

5. mrjh000

mrjh000 Lurker

I did a factory repair from the included DVD and a whole list of problems started happening, raging from the whole system freezing (had to force shut down), to the system waiting for a program to end during shut down, to BSOD (only after installing updated Wacom drivers). It almost seem like the drivers within the DVD is different than the ones that are installed at first.

Now I kind of wish I had stopped when the only problem I had is the BSOD. At least with that all I have to do is reboot and the slate will be good to go.

I'll give those new Fujitsu drivers a try. For some reason the newest Wacom drivers don't work on my slate. I get no pressure in any of my art programs and I can't change any of the pen settings until I use the Fujitsu drivers I mentioned before. I got nothing to loose anyway. Already reinstalled a couple of times already. Sigh...

6. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't had a single crash on either of my EP121s. I have had the occasional freeze that required holding down the home key however.

7. mrjh000

mrjh000 Lurker

To ilya11naza, thank you so much for posting that Fujistsu driver. It worked better than the previous one I have. I now have a perfect working EP121: no more pen/touch freeze, no more random system freeze, no more having to force shut down programs during windows shut down, and no more BSOD (as of now. fingers crossed). I don't know if this driver will help with others with the BSOD problem but if you do decide to try it, just be forewarned that after installing the driver I experienced a whole system freeze and I have to force windows to shut down. After rebooting the driver surprisingly worked! I am very happy with my unit... I mean my EP121.:D

8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

mrjh000, do you use ArtRage and does the eraser work with with it with this driver? Thanks!

I was going to try using the Wacom driver from the tm2. For those worried about testing drivers if you have System Restore turned on you should be fine. Just create a restore point before installing a driver and if there are problems just roll back to that restore point. This has been around since XP and it's an extremely robust tool, it's saved my bacon many a time in the last 10 years. But if you want to play it 100% safe of course you should have a full backup just in case but I've NEVER had an issue with System Restore doing it's job properly.

9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can you tell us your complete process? did you start from the Asus installation, or have you changed something before? did you uninstall installed drivers or did you just install Fujitsu drivers over the one on Asus? did you configure Fujitsu drivers after installation or do any other actions?

10. mrjh000

mrjh000 Lurker

To heatlesssun: Yes, the eraser works on Art Rage Studio Pro but you have to press down fairly hard for it to work. One thing I notice is that the Asus factory pen driver will provide pressure to the pre-installed Artrage Studio and not my copy of Artrage Studio Pro. After I upgrade the driver, the pre-installed Artrage Studio looses pressure while my own copy of Artrage gets pressure. Weird. Oh, and this driver provide pen pressure to both Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop CS3, if anyone's interested.

To thierryb: Here are the things I did. It's not perfect because I just experienced BSOD, although it's happening a lot less frequent and only when not plugged in (battery full).

1. Did a repair reinstall with the Asus DVD using an external DVD drive (I reinstalled soooo many times). At this point I still have the problem with Windows waiting for an unknown program to shut down before shutting itself down.
    2. Use Windows update and installed every update except the two optional updates: Realtek HD Audio Drivers and EETI PCAP MultiTouch Digitizer.
    3. Installed the Fujitus Pen drivers without uninstalling the pre-installed drivers (previous time I uninstalled the Asus driver first and got a 'found no supporting tablet' message). After the install my whole system froze. After forcing a shutdown and restarting, it worked (tested with my copy of Artrage).
    4. Installed the newest Intel HD Graphic Driver.
    5. Started uninstalling unwanted programs. It is at this point during one of the restarts, that I notice the Windows-shut-down problem is gone. I suspect one of the Asus software is causing the problem.

After all the problems I've encountered with this tablet, I really don't care about the BSOD anymore. It is now just a minor annoyance compared to the whole damn system freezing up or getting BSOD every 4 times, or Windows not shutting down at all... I just want to start drawing on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.