EP121 Blue Screen Of Death? :(

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by ilya11naza, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilya11naza

ilya11naza Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else gotten a Blue Screen of Death on their EP121?
    Occasionally I get a BSOD while booting Windows, the Error is BAD POOL HEADER 0000000x19. This hasn't happened to me until after the multitouch firmware update. I tried rolling the firmware back, but the driver won't install an older version. I've ran a memory diagnostics check and it reported no errors. I am not having any problems when using the computer and suspect this is a driver, not a hardware issue. Still, would be nice to know if I'm alone in seeing this. I have 20 days left to return the slate to Fry's (in which case I'll want another one). I'll be installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate next week, and will report back with the results.

Have you experienced any BSOD on your EP121, before or after the update? Thanks!

2. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

Yes, I have had two, both on the 29th. I cannot remember for certain, but I think it was after I updated. Get a program called WhoCrashed by Resplendence Software and it will analyze the dump files. Doesn't give a lot of info but does point to the program/driver that caused the BSOD. Here are my dump analysis; (I hi-lited the offending program in blue)
    On Sat 1/29/2011 5:44:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\012911-10904-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70740)
    Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA8006EDAC80, 0xFFFFFA8006EDACA0, 0x4020009)
    Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
    file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 1/29/2011 5:44:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: hidusb.sys (hidusb+0x35A6)
    Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA8006EDAC80, 0xFFFFFA8006EDACA0, 0x4020009)
    Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
    file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\hidusb.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: USB Miniport Driver for Input Devices
    Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. ilya11naza

Thank you so much for replying, knowing that I'm not the only one having this issue gets the weight off my shoulders. Are you running the OEM windows or did you do a fresh install?

Thanks!

4. JustDavid

I am on the upgade to 7 Ultimate. I did do a clean install, but switched back to this install before the BSODs.

5. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Either way, given that the RAM is not user replaceable, I'd do a thorough Memtest of the RAM either way to rule out hardware problems. (likely not the case here, because it usually causes problems when the RAM is being stressed a lot with a memory intensive program like video encoding, etc.)

6. ilya11naza

Does Memory Diagnostics qualify as a RAM test?

7. ncb1397

ncb1397 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bet you money that it uses either 2x2GB or 1x2GB standard SODIMM DDR3 memory.

8. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

Nah i think they are using 512 sticks :p

9. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you installed all of the drivers on Asus's site? Thus far running my clean install of Windows Ultimate x64 I've had few issues, actually the only issue I've seen is the digitizer freezers problem, about three times now but holding down the Home key to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence resolves the issue.

10. JustDavid

Memory is one 4 Gig stick of DDR3 10600 SODIMM. It is (in my slate) a Samsung M471B5273CH0-CH9
    More info here:
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productInfo.do?fmly_id=694&partnum=M471B5273CH0&xFmly_id=690

And so far, it has passed every test I have subjected it to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.