EP121 battery life with XP18000

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by greygabe, Feb 9, 2011.

1. greygabe

greygabe Pen Pal - Newbie

So I finally got the Energizer XP18000 battery to work with the EP121 (after adding an inline barrel plug to the EP121 charger so I can use the plug it shipped with on both the charger and the XP18000)

Here is my benchmark.
    Full brightness. WiFi on. Bluetooth off. Looping 720p video.
    Note: XP18000 status is marked by how many of the 4 status lights turns on when I press the button

0:00
    EP121 @ 90%
    XP18000 @ 4/4

1:00
    EP121 @ 100%
    XP18000 @ 2/4

3:10
    EP121 @ 100%
    XP18000 @ dead

5:23
    EP121 @ Auto Shutdown (3%)
    XP18000 @ dead

Hope this is useful to someone. Keep in mind that this is a very worst case scenario.

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Awesome, I have the parts to do the same thing but I ordered, at least I hope it's what I'm getting from EMT Company, not the most reputable company on the planet, a spare AC adapter and that's what I plan on using the way you described.

These numbers are better than I expected. I doubt the Bluetooth radio saved you a lot of power as my testing revealed that it doesn't seem to use a lot of power. And full brightness on this guy tome is fairly blinding indoors in most situations though it can be useful outside. I keep mine set at 30% and it's great. You're getting double the runtime I did on my WiFi tests at 30% so i looks like 6 plus hours with the 18000 under normal desktop conditions is very doable.

Thanks for the info!

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, very useful. Energizer 3:10 (in fact a little bit more because the ep 121 was 90%) Internal 2:13
    Can you give us the tip reference on the energizer site?

4. heatlesssun

5. Loren

Loren Pen Pal - Newbie

6. heatlesssun

I would doubt that the battery life of the XP 18000 would be that great on the EP121 simply because it is more power hungry than the ExoPC.

7. greygabe

@thierryb
    heatlesssun is right - I soldered it together myself so I don't know anything as far as the free Energizer tips

@heatlesssun
    I did notice your post earlier - I hope the EMT adapter works for you, but I'm kinda skeptical... It lists a 4.8mm x 1.7mm plug but the EP121 uses a 3mm X 1mm plug (as far as my measurements say).

So my idea was to cut the stock charger and use it's plug by adding an inline plug. Here's what the plug looks like:
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1507/img0541cx.jpg
    http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4794/img0539d.jpg
    http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2158/img0540xz.jpg
    I used a male and female 5.5mm X 2.1mm (OD X ID) barrel plug. The reason is that the 19v plug the XP18000 comes with is that size (so you don't need to use any of the adapters - just plug it in directly)
    http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3826/img0542sh.jpg
    http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8420/img0543wo.jpg

@Loren
    The power consumption of the EP121 can not really be compared to the ExoPC. The ExoPC runs an Atom processor that is nowhere near as powerful as the EP121 - so the EP121 uses much more battery (perhaps even twice the wattage under full load). That being said, my test was absolutly a worst case scenario so... 6-8 hours is probable under web browsing/office.

8. greygabe

Another observation:
    If you plug the XP18000 in to its charger and plug the XP18000 in to the EP121 it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects to charging both internal and external batteries simultaneously...

9. Sacardo

Sacardo Pen Pal - Newbie

That looks so clean and well done. Great work!

I wish I had the tools and know how to do that.

10. heatlesssun

Great work greygabe! Much nicer than my McGyver special:[​IMG]

Of course I'm not using the adapter, I hoped I would have been more aesthetically pleasing had I used original equipment.

Actually the battery life of the XP 18000 might be better than I thought. I've been running on it for almost 4.5 hours and it took 4 hours running in desktop mode doing web surfing some standard definition Flash, inking and Office with the WiFi and Bluetooth radios on. So it looks like 8 hours of desktop use will be no sweat.

11. SlateEnvy

SlateEnvy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Heat,

If you get a chance, send me over what you forwarded to Energizer so that I can make a request as well. I figure the more people we can get to do the same the faster they will move. I'm sure because the device is so new they may not be moving as fast as *we want them to*.

I can call them as well to follow-up.

12. greygabe

@heatlesssun
    Is that the plug from that emtcompany?

13. dshaffer

dshaffer Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here...please pass the info you sent them and I'll send in another request.

14. heatlesssun

Hey Slate & grey,

I went here and filled out this form: XPAL Power | Contact US | Customer Service

Select "Tip Request" from the question type drop down list and fill in the dimensions. I don't think I recorded what I filled in for those. It's kind of hard to measure the inner and outer diameters but I do remember that it was exactly 10 mm long. Let me know if you guys need more info.

15. heatlesssun

Yeah, that adapter from EMT was nothing but a universal adapter that didn't even have the right plug for the EP121. Not really steamed about it, it was only $20 and because it's universal I can make other use of it.

I actually found a tip that's almost a perfect fit from Walmart: Walmart.com: Powerline 1300 mA Adapter: TV & Video

This adapter has plugs for both the EP121 and the XP 18000 though I did have to use a pair of needle nosed pliers and squeeze the tip for the EP121 power port to give that plug a little more tension. So far so good.

16. dshaffer

dshaffer Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you send in any photos of the ASUS Tip?

17. heatlesssun

Yes, I sent them a shot looking down into the barrel of the tip. Been a while now and no response. Since I have my homemade solution for now I'm not in a rush but I definitely want an Energizer tip eventually.

18. SlateEnvy

Thanks for the info, I admit I went there already and saw what they were requesting and just didn't have the time. I was hoping you had the data already (size, pics) so that most of us could quickly and easily hit them up for the tip. I know if they only had a few requests, this may be not come for a while.

I will call them first and then I should have some time to get the info gathered. Once I do I will post it here so others can send it in. The only issue I'm worried about are the measurements, don't want to get them wrong and then have everyone here send the same wrong information out.

19. SlateEnvy

Just spoke with Energizer tech support and they have the tip request in the system and it's processing as of 2-11-11. (This was probably you Heat). They couldn't give me an exact date as to when it will be released but they are looking into it now. I asked if it would take a few months before the tip is released and she said no, generally once the info is confirmed about 7 business days before they make them. So if this is true I would think we could expect a tip early in March.

She also told me that I could fill out the model number only and depending on requests they will contact the manufacturer for info. I was actually pretty suprised to get someone live on the phone using their contact number. Below is the link to the tech support number, I would recommend others calling to keep the momentum that Heat started going.

Energizer contact page

20. heatlesssun

Thanks Slate!

Just got a notification from Energizer that they are validating the specs I gave them on the tip. This is what I told them:

Outside diameter 3 (mm)
    Inside diameter 1.1 (mm)
    Length 10 (mm)

I think I got it right and Energizer is going to confirm for themselves so hopefully we'll see a tip for the EP121 in the next few weeks.